Workaround/Semi-Fix for Mountroot Issues with 9.3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaun slasor

Cadet
Hello all.

I have the mount root problem on my Supermicro X9SRL Freenas 9 system installed on a Sandisk 16GB Cruzer Blade USB-2 thumb drive plugged into any of the USB-2 ports.

Note that I am NOT using a USB-3 device or USB-3 port.

The problem started immediately on rebooting after a normal updates download and install. The system had been working quite happily since June 2015 using the same Sandisk thumb drive.

What did not work. . .
1. changing the USB port had no effect, even using the USB-2 port on the motherboard itself as suggested earlier.
2. applying the fix for 50000 ms delay had no effect. I did not see a 1 minute delay either.
3. changing the "Legacy vs Auto" setting as suggested earlier had no effect. It had previously been working quite happily on Auto setting anyway.
4. I notice that the nightly build of Freenas 10 also has the problem.

What did work. . .
4. if I pull out the USB stick when the boot process freezes for about 10 seconds (so after the repeated messages about "enumerate" and "failed to get address" for the USB bus), and then plug the Sandisk back in after a second or two, then I can see on the screen the Sandisk (or the bus its plugged into ?) get an address, and then the boot process continues and I can access my Freeness again. But Freeness GUI then shows an orange flashing warning that smart.d is not working, which is not normal. At this point I added the 50,000 ms delay as a permanent tuneable and re-booted, but it still had no effect.
5. if I select the previous version of Freeness dated November 2015 (selected during boot whilst Grub is displaying the options) then my system boots as normal.

I will try the latest Freeness version that has the temporary fix in it, tomorrow to see if it works.

Also I have the same problem on my Asrock Z97 mini ITX board, again using the USB-2 ports with a different Sandisk Cruzer Blade, this time an 8GB one.

But an old AMD Gigabyte 890-fxa-UD5 board works fine on the USB-2 ports using the same Sandisk drive that gives the root mount error on my Supermicro and Asrock boards. I have an Asus Rampage Gene X79 board that I will also try later.

Again, to stress I am using a USB-2 thumb drive in a USB-2 port, and so this is not a problem that happens only on USB-3 devices / or USB-3 ports.

Let me know if you want me to try anything else, happy to do so.

Jetfn1

Cadet
I had to DISABLE USB 3.0 Support on my Gigabyte Brix system! And it BOOTED INTO INSTALL!!!!!!!
Went into bios, shut off USB 3.0 support.
I spent a bunch of time trying to change timing and decided to shut off USB 3.0. WALAH! Success!
If you have the same issue just try DISABLING USB 3.0 on MB if you only have USB 3.0 ports as I do. Otherwise plugging into a USB 2.0 Port may work for you as well.
Hope this helps!

Gigabyte Brix system.
16GB DDR3 1600
FreeNAS 9.3.1- Stable/ Installed using Win32 Disk Imager. On class U1 SD CARD plugged into adapter.
USB 3.0 Western Digital Hard Drive.

jimandroidpc

Cadet
Error 19 @ mountroot
Zotac Zbox CI323 w/ Intel N3150 Quad Core celeron, 16gb RAM. OCZ 60gb SSD & 16gb HP/Apacer on the SATA. (Will be hooking up USB 3.0 for my drives) I have tried to install via USB 3.0/2.0/(Multiple types)Legacy, UEFI, and even the SD card all leading to the same problem. Tried the tunable edit with 50000 & still nothing. From searching other forums it may have to do with the new N3150 type- Braswell chips.

Last edited:

zaggynl

Dabbler
Last edited:

mike8itall

Cadet
Error 19 @ mountroot
Zotac Zbox CI323 w/ Intel N3150 Quad Core celeron, 16gb RAM. OCZ 60gb SSD & 16gb HP/Apacer on the SATA. (Will be hooking up USB 3.0 for my drives) I have tried to install via USB 3.0/2.0/(Multiple types)Legacy, UEFI, and even the SD card all leading to the same problem. Tried the tunable edit with 50000 & still nothing. From searching other forums it may have to do with the new N3150 type- Braswell chips.

I too have this same problem. I have an Asus N3050I-C that I wanted to use for the fanless processor/low power consumption/low noise.
It also has the Braswell but with dual core Celeron. I've got both USB 3.0 and 2.0.

I know the USB 3.o is an Intel bus, but I don't know about the 2.o. Couldn't find it in the specs. Tried them all. As a temporary work around, for now I was (barely) able to get Amahi to install.

Had to do the full DVD install, as they recommend to use the bare minimum network install unless there are too many problems.
Well, mine had too many problems, so I had to do the full DVD with no packages selected.
So after trying the network install four times, I still had to do the DVD install twice to get it to work right.

When I get some compatible hardware, I'm turning this board into a TV/media box. Too frustrating.
So my opinion, this board goes on my list of don'ts for any linux or freebsd install. And with your post, I will avoid Braswell also.

I wonder, besides "recommended hardware," is there a "verified incompatible" list this can be added to?
Maybe a list like that, with the version tried (9.3 in this case) would be a very valuable list.

JOduMonT

Dabbler
Sorry but that didn't fix my mountroot: waiting for device /dev/iso9660/FreeNAS_INSTALL
I'd also the USB2 as mentioned by Eli Anthony, Dec 30, 2014, sadly it didn't works for me too
- Why FreeNAS remove the .img image ??
- How I could force the mounting point to look into my USBkey ?

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H
USBkey #1 : Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB
USBkey #2 : Verbatim Store 'n' Stay NANO USB 3.0 8GB
USBkey #3 : Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G2 16GB

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Sorry but that didn't fix my mountroot: waiting for device /dev/iso9660/FreeNAS_INSTALL
I'd also the USB2 as mentioned by Eli Anthony, Dec 30, 2014, sadly it didn't works for me too
- Why FreeNAS remove the .img image ??
- How I could force the mounting point to look into my USBkey ?

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H
USBkey #1 : Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB
USBkey #2 : Verbatim Store 'n' Stay NANO USB 3.0 8GB
That motherboard is an 1151 socket. As has been mentioned a thousand different places in the forum, the 1151 socket does not support booting from USB in most cases. https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...mpatibility-on-freenas-9-3.41194/#post-262502

Also, that motherboard is a bad choice for a server. It contains all desktop grade parts, a non-server grade chipset, and it does not support ECC RAM (apparently, you *can* plug in ECC RAM DIMMs, but they will operate in non-ECC mode).

Anyway, this is why you're having trouble booting from USB.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

JOduMonT

Dabbler
That motherboard is an 1151 socket. As has been mentioned a thousand different places in the forum, the 1151 socket does not support booting from USB in most cases. https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...mpatibility-on-freenas-9-3.41194/#post-262502

Also, that motherboard is a bad choice for a server. It contains all desktop grade parts, a non-server grade chipset, and it does not support ECC RAM (apparently, you *can* plug in ECC RAM DIMMs, but they will operate in non-ECC mode).

Anyway, this is why you're having trouble booting from USB.

Might be a bad choice for server, and don't boot from most of USBkey
But I succeed install via USB Key a ESXi and will do which FreeNAS also don't recommend which is ruinning FreeNAS in a VM.

remark : ESXi, Debian, Arch and RedHat run and BOOT perfectly as a UEFI device on this Motherboard, which is not the case of FreeNAS :(

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Moderator note: Everything that can be said about this topic probably has been said in this thread. Thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.