Windows XP Virtual Machine on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASbox

Guru
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to run a Windows XP virtual machine on FreeNAS?

If so, any hints as to where I might get some directions for setup? Need better keywords for search as I'm getting old Virtual Box info which I believe is obsolete and no longer an option.)
(IIUC Bhyve is essentially EFI Only unless you have an OS that supports a serial console.)

Assuming that I do get it to run, how soon is a FreeNAS upgrade likely to break it?
(This question is for someone with a good knowledge of the FreeBSD roadmap and details of FreeBSD system/virtual machine internals, and I realize that it is only a guess.)

Windows XP isn't supported under bhyve. That's not to say it's impossible. Just that you're probably wasting your time. If you do get XP to work, there is no guarantee it will continue to work.

You may be better off installing Windows 7 and then setting your application to XP compatibility mode.

Cheers,
Matt

NASbox

Guru
Windows XP isn't supported under bhyve. That's not to say it's impossible. Just that you're probably wasting your time. If you do get XP to work, there is no guarantee it will continue to work.

You may be better off installing Windows 7 and then setting your application to XP compatibility mode.

Cheers,
Matt

Thanks that's what I needed to know.
You wouldn't happen to know if Windows 7 in XP comparability mode can use Windows XP print drivers? If it can, that would be ideal.

I am almost free of Microsoft's choke hold, (Linux for desktop/FreeNAS/pfSense) but I have been using an application called PaperPort for about 20 years - Allows you to print to a pdf (as a graphic), and then cut, paste, erase, etc. I haven't found (even several programs), that can do this type of CONVENIENT pdf manipulation.

NASbox

Guru
If your only requirement is PaperPort, why not get the latest edition which runs on Windows 10?

What little knowledge of Windows XP I had has since been forgotten.

Cheers,
Matt
Thanks @MatthewSteinhoff. I just found out that Windows 7 has a good comparability mode, but it uses Microsoft Virtual PC (I think it's under a customized version of HyperV), so I'm assuming that there is no way to run that under bhyve???

I might have to use a version that runs under windows 8.1 (I have a license). <rant>Problem is that each version of the software gets worse... (like putting your confidential stuff in the cloud, more cumbersome editing, dropped features), not to mention the Orwellian spyware built into Windows 10. North America needs a GDPR for the desktop.</rant>

Status
Not open for further replies.