Windows XP "No more connections can be made ..."

stratosg

Cadet
Hello,

I just installed FreeNAS on one of my servers. I'm really liking the system. I do have an issue with connecting from a Windows XP machine though. Whenever I try to connect I get:

"No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept."

I know that having Windows XP nowadays is a crime but short of upgrading (it's a few laboratory machines designed to work with legacy equipment, long story) is there anything I can do to make them work?

Thank you for any help!
Stratos

PS: If this has been posted before I apologize, I have been looking all day...

My guess would be the fact Windows XP only supports SMB1 and your FreeNAS box is not allowing it. Depending on what version of FreeNAS you are running you could try adding the below aux parameter to your SMB config.

ntlm auth = yes

stratosg

Cadet
Thanks for the reply! I am running "FreeNAS-11.1-U6". I tried adding this parameter along with enabling "NTLMv1 Auth" on the SMB config to no avail. It's a very peculiar error in my eyes...

Thanks for the reply! I am running "FreeNAS-11.1-U6". I tried adding this parameter along with enabling "NTLMv1 Auth" on the SMB config to no avail. It's a very peculiar error in my eyes...
Did you restart samba?

stratosg

Cadet
Yup, I added the "ntlm auth = yes" into the "Auxiliary parameters" and stopped and started the service. Then tried accessing from the XP computers with the same result. I even tried restarting the XP machines.

What's weird about it, is that I have an SMB share that has guest access enabled. I do not even get the listing of the shares, I just get the error message.

Thats odd as we had the same issue with XP users unable to access on version 9.10.2 U5 and adding the ntlm auth = yes fixed it. Perhaps its a different issue you have. I guess its fine on other machines such as Mac, Linux, Windows 7,8,10?

stratosg

Cadet
The rest of the machines are Windows 10 and they are working perfectly fine as far as I can tell.

When I try to connect through console "net use" to my guest enabled share, it asks for a user/password. I tried to authenticate or log in as "nobody" or any of my defined users and I still got the same error "System Error 71".

I think you have two separate issues here. 1. Windows XP machines not connecting to shares that Win 10 machines can and 2. Guest access share not working. I have no experience really with 2 however with 1 IF you are saying Windows 10 machines can connect to 'Share1' but Windows XP machine can't connect to 'Share1' I would still place money on SMB1 being the issue.

Just found this https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-11-1-u6/

Known Impacts
SMB1 has been disabled by default for security reasons. If legacy clients are no longer able to connect, type this command in the Shell, then restart the SMB service:

sysctl freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol=NT1
If that resolves the issue, you can make that setting permanent by going to System → Tunables →Add Tunable and creating a Tunable with these settings:

Variable: freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol

Value: NT1

Type: Sysctl

stratosg

Cadet
Man, you were absolutely right on both fronts. There were indeed two underlying problems as you indicated.

1) The SMB protocol, per your last post. I followed the solution you found and that immediately solved the "No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept." The shares started showing up and my guest enabled shares were working properly. The protected ones still had a problem which brings us to the second point.

2) At this point, I re-enabled the "NTLMv1" option and added the auxiliary parameter as you had indicated and voila everything works properly.

Thank you for all the help you have provided, I hope this thread proves useful to others as well.

For posterity's sake, and for anyone reading this in the future, I should say what everyone else has said about SMB1 and about Windows XP. If you can eliminate them, please do! This is a less secure approach/system and that's why everyone has been moving away and disabling by default. But, if you are stuck with XP then you can thank Johnny for saving the day!

Stratos

Cool, glad its working.