Windows users/groups not refreshing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aseikola

Cadet
I'm seeing some strange behaviors from my freenas machine. I've created a dataset, set Windows permissions, and set administrator as owner. For testing I created user1 and user2 on the windows 7 box and I also created those same users in the freenas gui . I've also created some groups in freenas. Here's what I did:

1. As administrator create a folder in the cifs share called clients (matching a group name I set up in freenas gui.
2. Inside I make folders user1, and user2.
3. I go to the freenas gui and set user1, and user2 in the clients group
4. I go back into my windows share as administrator and right click the clients folder and under properties/security add clients group . I also go in and set user1 as full owner of his folder and user2 full owner of his.
5. I log in with user1 and go to the share, I can't even see the client folder, same with user2.
6. Bang my head against the wall and decided to delete and recreate the folders and re-assign securities
7. I can now log in with user 1, and user2 see the client folder and each can access their own folder

This can't be how this is intended to work, essentially its behaving in a way that I couldn't just add users to the group when needed, I had to have my groups set, users set in the groups I want, and then make my folders and set security permissions. Can anyone point me in the right direction on what might be going on?

wsanders

Cadet
You needs to click on the "Rebuild Directory Server Cache" button in Directory Service -> Active Directory each time you make a change in AD. At least in 9.3. In older versions, stopping and restarting CIFS sometimes took care of this.

aseikola

Cadet
Thank you. I am operating in a workgroup environment do you think this will help.? I've restarted the CIFS service several times and this doesn't seem to help things along. I'm thinking there is some kind of caching going on but i'm not sure how to clear it. I also have a problem where if I try and add a user or group to a share to assign permissions in Windows as the owner of the share I am asked by my freenas box to provide a username/password. This happens each time I try to add users to assign the permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.