Windows sharing CIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordo

Cadet
I have been trying for 2 days to get sharing working (CIFS)
I have followed all the documents (created accounts and groups set permissions ) but no luck .I can see the share in windows , when i click on the folder it ask for a user name and password Ive tried every user and password and still no luck.
I'm using FreeNAS 8.0.3 and windows 7 64bit

Please can someone help

sjieke

Contributor
If security is no concern for you the easiest way is to set authentication for cifs to 'anonymous' and always allow guest access.
Next you need to change the read and write permissions of all data to allow everyone.

If security is a concern, then you need to create a user on the freenas system. Use 'local user' authentication for cifs, disable guest access and change the permissions of your data to allow read/write access for your user.

gordo

Cadet
Thanks for your help , I installed version 7 and its working great :) , 8 was too confusing :(

sjieke

Contributor
I'm glad you found a solution.

I never used FreeNas 7, but I can't picture how CIFS would be presented differently then in FreeNAS 8 to make it less confusing. What where the confusing parts? Your input may help improve FreeNas...

gordo

Cadet
well it wasn't confusing I just couldn't get it to work , and I'm sure i had all the settings correct , anyways i install 7 and it works fine .I may try version 8 again one day but for now i will use 7.

bubulein

Explorer
Moin,

when setting up a new servixe I usually start by creating an Anonymous/Guest share which is world read and writable. This way I like to make sure server and client are not cheating me.

For IRC i have assembled a few Quick-Lessons perhaps you take a look, it might could help.

If you have any problems let me know.

-Christian

DKLeader

Cadet
I got that part working, but if you have a guide that works on creating multiple users ang groups, where members of one group can have there own private "share" - see my thread : http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?5858-Shares-Storages-ZFS-Multiple-Users-Passwords
Moin,

when setting up a new servixe I usually start by creating an Anonymous/Guest share which is world read and writable. This way I like to make sure server and client are not cheating me.

For IRC i have assembled a few Quick-Lessons perhaps you take a look, it might could help.

If you have any problems let me know.

-Christian

dhawk312

Dabbler
I recently upgraded to the newest stable release of FreeNas 8.0.4. I was previously running the first stable release of FreeNas 8.0. Since upgrading I cannot write to any of my shared CIFs folders. I followed the documentation walkthrough as well as the PDF provided here, but neither work for me. I believe the problem lies in my permissions. When I try to change any permissions it does not apply the changes. Instead, the webpage just stops and no changes are set. This occurs for changing the owner, group, read/write, and set recursively (which is unchecked).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Durkatlon

Patron
I recently upgraded to the newest stable release of FreeNas 8.0.4. I was previously running the first stable release of FreeNas 8.0. Since upgrading I cannot write to any of my shared CIFs folders. I followed the documentation walkthrough as well as the PDF provided here, but neither work for me. I believe the problem lies in my permissions. When I try to change any permissions it does not apply the changes. Instead, the webpage just stops and no changes are set. This occurs for changing the owner, group, read/write, and set recursively (which is unchecked).

Any ideas?

Thanks.
You could try to do a recursive "chown -R" from the shell to change the permissions on the shares. I don't remember if the ownership of files written through CIFS changed between the first releases and the current one, but if it did that would be an easy fix.

Anecdotally, the ability to perform this kind of a chown was one of the reasons why I wanted to switch to a FreeNAS type OS for my NAS needs. Before FreeNAS I had a couple of Iomega 150D NAS units. By adding and removing users a few times on those, I managed to create several directories and files that were inaccessible, undeletable, etc, and taking up valuable space for no reason. These units run Linux, but do not allow any kind of access besides the web interface, which did not have a way to resolve this kind of permissions issue. Having shell access either from a console or through ssh is a real lifesaver in situations like that.

dhawk312

Dabbler
Is it possible to open a shell and run these commands through the WebUI? Or do I have to SSH into the server?

Durkatlon

Patron
Is it possible to open a shell and run these commands through the WebUI? Or do I have to SSH into the server?
In FreeNAS7 you could run shell-commands directly from the WebGUI, but I don't think there is anything similar in FreeNAS8. You'll have to go in through the main console, or by enabling ssh and going in from another machine.

dhawk312

Dabbler
Yea, I'm using PUTTY. So I just run "chown -R /mnt/DIR_NAME_HERE" after entering su and password?

Durkatlon

Patron
Ah OK. Well, the syntax is

chown -R user:group /mnt/DIR_NAME_HERE

where "user" and "group" are the user and group name who you want to become the new owner of the files. What the correct user and group is probably depends on how you have things set up.

On my boxes I have everything opened up wide, with full-permission guest access. Files on these boxes are owned by root:wheel. If you have other kinds of permissions set up it might be different.

dhawk312

Dabbler
Ok, thanks for correcting that. I've been trying to find out what 'wheel' means. What are the advantages to your setup with root:wheel vs. setting up a separate anon guest:user account per the documentation?

Durkatlon

Patron
It's probably the same thing as long as you set up guest user "guest" and "Allow Guest access". I just looked at my config and I actually have user "nobody" as the guest user, and I looked at some recently added files and they are owned by nobody:wheel. So I think those root:wheel files may have been older. I haven't tried to delete any of them, perhaps it wouldn't work. I may have to do a little chown-ing of my own :D.

dhawk312

Dabbler
Do you also have "Allow ONLY Guest access" checked or just "Allow Guest access"? I don't know if it matter for the type of set up we have but I'm trying figure out if one of my settings is screwing with this permission issue I've encountered.

dhawk312

Dabbler
Ok I opened full read/write/execute permissions on my /mnt/VOLUME then ran chown -R user:group /mnt/DIR_NAME_HERE

However, this did not fix my issue. I can put folders and files on my server and rename them, but I cannot delete or otherwise modify files or folders. I checked the "Set permission recursively" box in the webUI (when I do this a dialog box changes to "please wait" then after a couple minutes a box pops up saying "an error has occurred"), when that didn't work I then ran the chown -R command straight from the FreeNAS box via the "Console setup" option #9 Shell.

I'm at a total loss for how to resolve this issue. I'm getting ready to copy all of my data to another backup device then recreate my ZFS volume from scratch if I cannot get it resolved within a week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.