SOLVED Windows Share Still Not working.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@lilg Thanks, now ipconfig from Windows, please.

lilg

Dabbler
Sorry I am hesitant to put my ipconfig out there. Don't want to expose my computer.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Sorry I am hesitant to put my ipconfig out there. Don't want to expose my computer.

We just need the netmask and the default gateway.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You won't. It's a private LAN behind your Internet router, right?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
This does not make any sense. Your DHCP server is not in your LAN. So there is a relay involved. This is by no means a simple flat network. Are you in an enterprise environment with your systems?

Samuel Tai

That's a very peculiar setup for a home network. Your server is pingable on the Internet, but your PC is not. Usually, your server would be on the same subnet as your PC, so it would also have a 23.16.24x.x IP. I'm concerned in fact that you've plugged your server into the public side of your router, instead of the inside.

As the server and the PC are in separate subnets, additional configuration is needed to achieve SMB connectivity, mostly with LMHOSTS entries.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
He tried with the blank IP address. It would not be uncommon for the router to block 445 by default ...

But you are right, @Samuel Tai - if this is a home network, probably his FreeNAS is on the "outside".

lilg

Dabbler
OK so ... Network setup ...
ISP -> Modem -> 2x IPs
1st IP -> Wifi router for home use
2nd IP -> Switch -> office hardline computers & NAS Server

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You have to plug the NAS into a port of your Wifi router. Or buy an additional switch if the router has got only one port plus Wifi.

lilg

Dabbler
OK - so if I hardline the NAS on the Wifi router, can I access it from the Office computer considering it is on the other ip, using this setup above?

Samuel Tai

Let me sketch this up in Visio, so we all understand what's going on. Gimme a few.

Samuel Tai

OK, is this how your network is laid out?

1593028426715.png

If it is, then you should swing your hardline switch behind your router, and then re-IP everything to the 23.16.140.0/22 network, and the various guides will then work.

1593028601090.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@Samuel Tai If the router is not just an access point and so essentially a bridge, shouldn't the 23. network be behind the router? Or yet another perfix on that second interface? I am wondering where the DHCP server is located in this setup? At the ISP, hence the RFC 1918 address? I admit I have never seen anything like this.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So essentially you plugged your computer and the NAS into "the Internet" without any router and firewall inbetween. This is not how this is intended to work in most cases.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
With most ISPs the idea is to plug a router into the modem and literally everything behind that. Who advised you to create a setup like this?

Samuel Tai

lilg

Dabbler
With most ISPs the idea is to plug a router into the modem and literally everything behind that. Who advised you to create a setup like this?
:) Advised. :oops: - I did it mostly to take full advantage of the unthrottled ISP Speed. The router I have is slower and I found an extra IP on my modem