"Windows cannot access "...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramblyBush

Dabbler
I have freenas set up on an old laptop (I don't care about speed; it has 4gb ram and 64bit) and it was working fine. I was able to copy files from my windows 8 laptop over SMB to the storage and then access it over NFS on my OpenELEC chromebox, but now it's broken.

On my windows computer in the network folder, the FreeNAS box shows up and sometimes when I click it, a dialog box will pop up and say "Windows cannot access \\FreeNAS. Check the spelling..." The troubleshooter says the remote device won't accept the connection. When it does open \\freenas the only folder it shows is "homes" and when I try to open it it says the same thing. I just don't get how it can fall apart without me changing anything...

So at this point I'd either like to fix it or just start over if I could find a reset button. If authentication is the problem I can make it as unsecure as possible as my router has guest access disabled and is password protected and all i'm storing is media.

Gonzalo

Patron
Minimum requirements are not for speed, are for system stability and data protection... beyond that, what version of FreeNAS are you running? Can you access through IP address from Explorer (\\<IP from FreeNAS>)? The security of CIFS has nothing to do with your router security, please read the official documentation about it.

bramblyBush

Dabbler
Well I'm running the latest version they put out as stable. I tried going to \\192.168.1.4 which is the server's IP address in explorer and it says Windows cannot access 192.168.1.4
I mean it was working at one point. It's not like it didn't boot. I had this same problem with OpenMediaVault. It was working fine then it just started throwing errors about mounts and discs...
Is there a way to disable the stuff that requires 8gb RAM? Can it run on non-zfs file systems, or do I have to just save up so I can buy one of these $10,000 FreeNAS boxes?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is there a way to disable the stuff that requires 8gb RAM? Can it run on non-zfs file systems, or do I have to just save up so I can buy one of these $10,000 FreeNAS boxes?

Yes. Uninstall FreeNAS. :P

ZFS is required for FreeNAS as of 9.3.

You do NOT need to spend $10k on a FreeNAS box. My initial build cost me less than $1000 (I reused the disks I had).

Status
Not open for further replies.