Windows 10 Virtualbox 4.3.12 template

Status
Not open for further replies.

byron

Dabbler
I was able to install Windows 10 in the 4.3.12 available on freenas. I have not, however, had any luck with getting the guest additions service to start. My reading has lead me to believe that we need a newer version of VirtualBox to support Windows 10 fully.

Is there anything in the works for upgrading Vbox to 5.0? Has anyone had any luck with the vbox guest additions in Windows 10?

Main reason I need the guest additions is to modify the video resolution...among other things.

Thanks

D

dlavigne

Is there anything in the works for upgrading Vbox to 5.0? Has anyone had any luck with the vbox guest additions in Windows 10?

Not for the 9.x series. I am unsure if the 10.x series will still contain the vbox template as the jails/plugins system will be reworked.

bbissell

Cadet
Hi Byron -

I had the same issue, but was able to get VirtualBox Guest Additions v4.3.30 installed and working correctly.

- Brian

Jose Baars

Cadet
Confirmed.

To prepare, I set the OS Type in the VirtualBox PHP screen to Windows 8.1 (64 bit), checked all boxes with NX, AES, VT-X and nested paging and
on the command line of the virtualbox jail (possibly not universally needed, but it was on my setup)
# VBoxManage registervm '/usr/home/vbox/VirtualBox VMs/mypc/mypc.vbox'#(not needed if the following command already shows the vm)
# VBoxManage list vms
"mypc" {b8240729-0798-488a-b3a0-7d672b6ab237}
# VBoxManage setextradata mypc VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1

After having upgrading my Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) to Windows 10 Pro (using the Media Creation Tool, and clicking confirm when the installation warned that the display would have issues) I was able to install VirtualBox Guest Additions v4.3.30 without any issues.

All looks and works well and stable up until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.