Windows 10 smb/cfis auth over VPN (from a different domain)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzog

Cadet
Hey folks, anyone have any insight as to why I can't seem to log into my FreeNAS smb share from my work PC?

It all works fine from my home machines; I have a simple user/password login set up and I just enter that. My home machines are all on the default WORKGROUP workgroup, and FreeNAS is set to that as well.

But when I VPN into my house from my work machine (using OpenVPN on pfsense), and try to login in, I get an authentication error:

N72xlaJ.png

It defaults to using my work domain for logging in. I try to change it to WORKGROUP\ or other things, but same problem:

OrLnDhD.png

Does anyone know what I have to do to log in from this machine?

Again, it all works fine from my home PCs...

Thanks!

Nick2253

Wizard
The information before the \ is the domain. Typing in "WORKGROUP" means you are referencing a domain called "WORKGROUP". What you really need before the \ is the machine name, if you are trying to access a local account (an account within the domain of the local machine).

For example, my server is called "freenas", so I log in as "FREENAS\nick2253".

dzog

Cadet
The information before the \ is the domain. Typing in "WORKGROUP" means you are referencing a domain called "WORKGROUP". What you really need before the \ is the machine name, if you are trying to access a local account (an account within the domain of the local machine).

For example, my server is called "freenas", so I log in as "FREENAS\nick2253".

Gotcha. This makes sense, but isn't working for me.

My netbois name is "freenas", hostname is set to "freenas.local", and user is just a normal user (not a "Microsoft Account"):

K7foB76.png

qyZN95m.png

Ojz9UCk.png

1Toieus.png

(lowercase doesn't work either, but I think this is case-agnostic anyway. Password has been triple-checked.)

Nick2253

Wizard
One last idea: try using .\dzog as your username. When you're on a Windows machine, you can use the .\ to resolve to the local hostname. I'm not sure if that will or won't work here.

One thing that may make troubleshooting this problem difficult is that your work machine may have some settings configured via group policy that unexpectedly break with FreeNAS. It's difficult to test for these problems without local administrator access to the machine.

What I would suggest testing is going back to one of your personal machines, and see if you can login with "FREENAS\dzog". If that works, try "BLAH\dzog", and see if it doesn't work. Where I'm going with this is to figure out what the FreeNAS "domain" name is. It should be the NetBIOS name ("FREENAS"), but if we can get confirmation of that with a known working machine, that helps us figure out what is wrong with the work machine.

dzog

Cadet
One last idea: try using .\dzog as your username. When you're on a Windows machine, you can use the .\ to resolve to the local hostname. I'm not sure if that will or won't work here.

One thing that may make troubleshooting this problem difficult is that your work machine may have some settings configured via group policy that unexpectedly break with FreeNAS. It's difficult to test for these problems without local administrator access to the machine.

What I would suggest testing is going back to one of your personal machines, and see if you can login with "FREENAS\dzog". If that works, try "BLAH\dzog", and see if it doesn't work. Where I'm going with this is to figure out what the FreeNAS "domain" name is. It should be the NetBIOS name ("FREENAS"), but if we can get confirmation of that with a known working machine, that helps us figure out what is wrong with the work machine.

Thanks for the info. I believe I do have local admin access to my machine, but the "group policy is interfering" hypothesis does seem likely.

Using .\dzog didn't work.

On my personal machine:

This is the properties of the share I want to connect to from work:

nXXNj2x.png

Here's what I've been logging in as:

HbUz2o1.png

I tried entering FREENAS\dzog and that worked. I also tried WORKGROUP\dzog and that work. I also tried ASDHASDHAHS\dzog (random characters) and that worked...

Peltsu

Cadet
Hi Dzog!

I have faced exactly the same problem, did you find a way to access your shares from your work PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.