Windows 10 NIC power management causes samba file locking to go a bit nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Just an FYI. I had my windows 10 guinea pigs complain about my samba servers reporting files being reported as 'open' or 'modified by another user'. At first I thought it was possibly an issue with CIFS client changes in W10. In reality, it appears to be caused by windows 10 agressively turning off NICs to save power. Overall, some of the power-saving features are a bit annoying. The NIC power-management features can be turned off via "Device Manager" by right-clicking on the entry for your nic, clicking on the "Power Management" tab, and un-checking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Just putting this out there in case someone else experiences the issue.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The NIC power-management features can be turned off via "Device Manager" by right-clicking on the entry for your nic, clicking on the "Power Management" tab, and un-checking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
Pretty much the first thing I do with a new Windows install.

I never understood this whole concept. The NIC, which runs at....0.4 watts when idle? Needs to be.....turned off? when not in use? for "power savings"? What does that even mean? "Green" ethernet? What the hell is that? It's like at work, the vending machines have motion sensors on them, so they know to turn off the 11 watt CFL light that lights up the interior of the machine if no one is around (so, a $25 motion sensor, to save like...$2 in electricity over the course of a year)...all the while, the excruciatingly inefficient 700 Watt refrigeration unit is chugging away.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Pretty much the first thing I do with a new Windows install.

I never understood this whole concept. The NIC, which runs at....0.4 watts when idle? Needs to be.....turned off? when not in use? for "power savings"? What does that even mean? "Green" ethernet? What the hell is that? It's like at work, the vending machines have motion sensors on them, so they know to turn off the 11 watt CFL light that lights up the interior of the machine if no one is around (so, a $25 motion sensor, to save like...$2 in electricity over the course of a year)...all the while, the excruciatingly inefficient 700 Watt refrigeration unit is chugging away.
Well, the defaults are tuned for laptops these days. Every little bit helps, these days.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. few years ago when 8.1 came out there was a rash of people with this problem. NIC power saving features are stupid and shouldn't be used, ever.

This should go as a good reminder though. Been a while since we've had someone notice this problem. :)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
tuned for laptops
I don't think I've ever had a laptop who spent more than a grand total of 5 minutes of its life connected to the ethernet jack...

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I don't think I've ever had a laptop who spent more than a grand total of 5 minutes of its life connected to the WiFi...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't think I've ever had a laptop who spent more than a grand total of 5 minutes of its life connected to the ethernet jack...
That's a pretty big argument in favor of aggressive Ethernet power management. ;)

I don't think I've ever had a laptop who spent more than a grand total of 5 minutes of its life connected to the WiFi...
Middle ground here. Ethernet for big stuff (or network work), WiFi most of the time.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Well, WiFi is crap: crappy throughput, crappy security, ... so my #1 rule about network is "if you can use a cable instead of wireless, do it" :)

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
@Bidule0hm
My Grand kids would tell u wires are soooo 20th century:rolleyes:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
What annoys me is that you can't easily (as far as I know) configure this through group policy. In principle, it should be a sort of advanced option under 'power plan'.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What annoys me is that you can't easily (as far as I know) configure this through group policy. In principle, it should be a sort of advanced option under 'power plan'.
There is such an option. Or at least there was... *Goes to check*

Hmm, there's only an option for the WiFi NIC. I don't see any options here, despite having an i217 and an i210 installed.

Well, WiFi is crap: crappy throughput, crappy security, ... so my #1 rule about network is "if you can use a cable instead of wireless, do it" :)
Some of us live in houses that were built just before national standards started mandating proper cabling (coax, Cat. 6 in every room, both routed to a central point, and provisions for optical fiber).:(

Of course, Ethernet is the way to go whenever it's feasible.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
There is such an option. Or at least there was... *Goes to check*

Hmm, there's only an option for the WiFi NIC. I don't see any options here, despite having an i217 and an i210 installed.

Some of us live in houses that were built just before national standards started mandating proper cabling (coax, Cat. 6 in every room, both routed to a central point, and provisions for optical fiber).:(

Of course, Ethernet is the way to go whenever it's feasible.
C'mon it's not like snaking cat6a around an existing structure is all that hard :D

Status
Not open for further replies.