Windows 10 Display Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spunky12

Dabbler
After the latest rounds of Windows updates my display is not hard wired at 1920x1080 for my virtual machines running under bhyve. They used to be set at 1280x1024 which was great for remoting in with Teamviewer and such.

Is there a display driver that should be used under bhyve just like vmware tools or something?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's a good question, but wouldn't Remote Desktop be a better solution for most cases? I guess you'd need a VPN for it when outside your LAN.

Spunky12

Dabbler
Yes, that is true. RDP would be and works great when I'm at home. However when I am not at home Teamviewer is much handier and I can access also access them from my mobile devices as well. It used to work great until about a month or so ago when all of a sudden they started using 1920x1024 which is great when local but a little burdensome when remote. So curious if there is a specific video driver I should be using just like the Virtual IO NIC driver.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This might be a silly question, but can't you just adjust the monitor resolution in the control panel to one of your choosing?

What I'm thinking is, clearly Windows has some sort of basic driver installed. If it didn't, it'd be stuck at a low resolution.

Spunky12

Dabbler
Correct, it has the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter installed. The problem is that it only is allowing 1920x1024 in it's mode list, therefore windows is stuck at this resolution. Which as stated, started recently with the latest round of wonderful windows patches and that dumb creators update.

i am with you, it should allow the change but it's not. the basic driver should allow for resolutions below it but it's not. It has just the one and why the heck it's stuck at something so high I have no clue.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You used to be able to force different modes. I'm not sure what the sequence of steps is with the latest updates, but I imagine that the underlying virtual graphics adapter will manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.