How to increase display resolution for Windows 10 Pro in a FreeNAS 11 VM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With help of Phil_02's great post on the matter I got Windows 10 Pro working properly in a FreeNAS 11 VM.

Unfortunately the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" only seems to work with a resolution of 1024x768. I can work around this by using Microsoft Remote Desktop but I prefer Chrome Remote Desktop which unfortunately uses the native resolution of the Windows Host.

I assume the actual hardware is irrelevant as it is a VM, but to be sure, the hardware used is: ASRock X99 WS-E/10G, Intel Core i7 6900K, ASUS 710-1-SL and a bunch of SSD and HDD drives.

Does anyone perhaps have any idea if it is possible to get a different resolution (e.g. 1920x1080) working? Any help or pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I could not find a solution for this with FreeNAS. I now switched to Proxmox where for some reason it works just fine even though Windows 10 uses the exact same "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". Both Proxmox and FreeNAS use KVM so I assume it is something in the KVM configuration that makes the difference but I have no idea (yet) what this difference might be.

chrisada

Explorer
Same situation here, also stuck on 1024x768. It doesn't affect me for my use, but I can imagine it can be troublesome in many cases.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dkusek

Explorer
Wanted to bump this to see if any resolution to this had been found?

Thank you!

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Looks like this is the most recent thread on this issue. Running FreeNAS 11.1 does not resolve this issue. I am still stuck with 1024x768 using VNC Viewer for Google Chrome. Have no issues with Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, or CentOS just Windows 10 Pro. VNC settings in FreeNAS are set to 1920x1080. Also no issues using Windows RDC

Edit: Also tried VNC Viewer for Windows version 6.17.1113 which also resulted in the same issue.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Looks like this is the most recent thread on this issue. Running FreeNAS 11.1 does not resolve this issue. I am still stuck with 1024x768 using VNC Viewer for Google Chrome. Have no issues with Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, or CentOS just Windows 10 Pro. VNC settings in FreeNAS are set to 1920x1080. Also no issues using Windows RDC

Edit: Also tried VNC Viewer for Windows version 6.17.1113 which also resulted in the same issue.

To clarify: this is reproducible on 11.1-U1? If so, please create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Yes, it happens on 11.1-U1. I just upgraded.

I also resolved the issue. Looks like it does not honor the default when you create the VM. You have to change it to a different resolution then change it back to 1920x1080. For clarification this VM was created fresh with 11.1 Final

Status
Not open for further replies.