Will it FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfinney

Cadet
I'm considering going all-in on FreeNAS for a home NAS, primarily for backup and eventually transcoding via Plex (don't want to get into that now but most likely 4K/1080 source files --> Mobile profile via cell network). Less than 5 users (MAX) and will be wired into 16 port 1Gb switch. It's either doing this build or picking up a Synology DS418play and throwing my existing drives (listed below) into it.

I have the CPU, Hard Drives. Purchasing MB and case. This leaves me with MB ($160), RAM ($80) and Case ($80-140).

My intention is to have a little more fun (and headache) building my own NAS out of some existing gear I have plus a new MB from ASRock Rack.

CPU: Intel i3-4170 (Haswell, ECC capable) https://ark.intel.com/products/77490/Intel-Core-i3-4170-Processor-3M-Cache-3_70-GHz
MB: ASrock Rack E3C226D2I https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157466
* Intel C226 storage controller with 6 ports on board
* Dual on-board i210 based LAN
* 2x DDR3 240PIN ECC (or Non-ECC) capable
RAM: (1x)8GB or (2x8GB)16GB of ECC - TBD but new and from Newegg/Amazon and cross-checked with what ASRock suggests
HD: 2X 4TB Desktop drives (i know, bad) plus 2X 2TB WD Greens (few years old). --- NOT SURE WHAT I AM DOING FOR RAID YET.... This is to get off the ground without needing to buy drives.
Boot/OS HD: OCZ Agility 4 SSD 120GB
Case: I like this one, looks nice and small.... Sans Digital ITX NAS case w/ 200W power supply (amazon: http://a.co/3O2SyjR)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
200w power supply is pretty small. I would go with 360W for 4 drives. You need to also make sure to widle the WD greens and those desktop drives might have strange results.

Other than that things look good.

sfinney

Cadet
200w power supply is pretty small. I would go with 360W for 4 drives. You need to also make sure to widle the WD greens and those desktop drives might have strange results.

Other than that things look good.

Thanks, I had thought the same thing on the case. Still working on finding out what type of supply it is (external, internal, etc.) as there isn't a part # on Amazon nor was I able to find it easily on the Sans Digital site though I only looked for a couple minutes.

widle must have to do with parking on the greens, right?

I'd like to start with what I have for drives, but I do plan to move to NAS rated drives as the next major step. That's the same plan I'd have if I was going to Synology route as well.

Appreciate the feedback!

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Inxsible

Guru
Another option for the case is the Fractal Design Node 304. I have the case and it's great. It supports 6 HDDs and is mini-ITX.

If you are not constrained to the size of the motherboard, you can look at Supermicro X9/X10/X11 series boards plus an appropriate case which will fit m-ATX.

Stux

MVP
16GB of RAM max is a limiting factor that you won’t need if you don’t go with a mITX solution

sfinney

Cadet
16GB of RAM max is a limiting factor that you won’t need if you don’t go with a mITX solution

Thank you, Stux. I've did some reading in the forums and believe that 16GB should be fine for my use case (Personal NAS/Cloud, less than 5 users, possibly trans-coding but that's not a priority). If there is a specific post or page you're aware of that breaks down what to consider with maximum RAM pass it along. I'll be happy to read it. :)

sfinney

Cadet
FYI, I ended up going with a newer Dell T30 (Skylake Xeon). Was able to get it for about $360.xx shipped!

https://www.techbargains.com/#d441788

Very similar to the HP server which was going to cost about $300.00 after adding 4GB of ECC and a 32GB SSD.

Key differences of why this Dell over HP:
* Xeon 1225 V5 (4C/4T) vs. HP has i3-6100
* 8GB ECC (1 dimm) vs. HP has 8GB ECC
* 1TB 7200 HDD included vs. HP no HDD
* DVDRW included vs. HP no DVDRW (not really needed, but nice to have)
* Dell motherboard has M.2 slot!

One potential downside is that the Dell only has 4 SATA ports on the motherboard, but again that should be enough for me. I'm planning on one boot drive, and two RAID drives moving to 3 (raid 5) in the future. For now I picked up a PCIe MSATA+SATA card which should allow me to re-use 16GB mSATA drive not in use and provide another SATA port that I can move the DVDRW to.

Thanks again for all the help.

Sean

danb35

Hall of Famer
two RAID drives moving to 3 (raid 5) in the future.
Be aware that you can't just turn a mirror into a RAIDZ1 volume--you'd need to back up your data, destroy the pool, recreate it as RAIDZ1, and then restore the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.