Why is assigning rights to shares so freaking hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone please explain how i assign user rights.

I want one shared folder and only allow two users read/write and thats it.

Not having much fun with this software.
Halfway through copying 288gb of steam backups the unit drops out.

Cant see freenas 8 being any better.

I

ixdwhite

Do you want an anonymous volume (that anyone can read or write) or one where only 2 users can access the share and happen to be able to read and write a directory?

To create an anonymous CIFS volume that anyone can read or write:

1. Create the volume.
2. On the volume, click Change Permissions.
3. Change the Owner to "nobody" and the Group to "nogroup".
4. Create a new Windows share. Set the Guest Account to "nobody" and check "Allow guest access" and "Only Allow Guest Access".
5. Turn on the CIFS service and mount your volume as a guest. The volume will be writable by anyone.

The second possibility is slightly more difficult due to idiosyncrasies between Windows ACLs and the CIFS service. If this is what you want, reply back and I'll write up how to do it.

I can't speak to your "drop out" issue without more details. Maybe you ran out of disk space?

Hi Appreciate the response.

I usually have a volume called data that i share out to windows and i want 2 people read/write to it with no guest access. Is this possible?

As for the unit rebooting im running it on an 8gb usb stick, is this enough?
Also what version of freenas is better?
7-8?

I

ixdwhite

As for a shared folder on an authenticated volume, yes, it can be done. The idea is to add the two users who need shared access to the same group then change the ownership and permissions of the shared folder so that group can read and write to it. The first step is done through the FreeNAS UI, the second step is where the idiosyncrasies start. Its a lot easier to do from the CLI right now, but I believe it can be done from Windows with the right incantation. Let me run through that procedure and I'll write it up.

For a USB boot device, FreeNAS 8 requires a 2GB volume. More than that is just wasted space. FreeNAS 0.7 will easily fit in 2GB as well. As an iX employee I emphatically recommend FreeNAS 8, but if your machine is particularly old then 0.7 will probably run better on it.

Really appreciate your help on this one.

Its easy for me to go back to version 8, i was told to use 7 as it "was" better.

jenksdrummer

Patron
What I've done...

1) Create ZFS Array, leave settings alone
2) Create ZFS Pool for user share usage - change permissions to Owner (no checkboxes), Group (all checkboxes), Other (no checkboxes)
3) Create users, make them members of the Wheel group
4) Configure CIFS service - name the system, workgroup, make sure Async IO is on both directions, large file support. Don't bother with changing anonymous user/group settings. Make sure the authentication mode is Local User
5) Turn on CIFS service
6) Create Windows Share - name it and associate with the ZFS Pool. I don't think there is anything special set here.

On your windows system, map a drive to the share created in step 6. Try creating a new folder - if successful, then check the permissions, you should see something about your username being one of the assigned permissions, but it'll have the FreeNAS computer name (spec'd during step 4) in computer\username format. All permissions will show as "special"

Now, is this right/perfect, heck if I know - but it works for me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.