Why can't I boot any ISOs in Bhyve, getting frustrating.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Can't install and test DietPi because the ISO won't boot.
Can't install and mess with Debian, ISO won't boot.
Can install Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server (shrug?)

https://saimei.ftp.acc.umu.se/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-10.0.0-i386-netinst.iso

Debian 10 net installer.
I get this issue
https://i.imgur.com/SLOuAdd.png
"Press ESC in X seconds to skip startuup.nsh or any other key to continue."
It then refuses to boot.
If I type exit and fiddle in the menu, still won't boot.

Am I doing something wrong here?

KrisBee

Wizard
Can't test myself at the moment. IIRC bhyve suports i386/amd64, but I'd try debian 10 64bit netinst.iso and give VM at least 1024MB to install it ( can reduce memory post install) as the debian installer goes into low-memory mode otherwise.

DietPi, have you used "native PC(UEFI)" or "nativePC(BIOS/CMS)"? Seem to remember seeing another post re: DietPi UEFI iso failing to boot with bhyve, possibly a plymouth thing. Pretty sure DietPI dev would never have tested these isos with bhyve.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I thought I did try Debian 10 64netinst, perhaps I missed something.

DietPi won't work as it non uefi isos don't work with VNC ? So I cant see the console.

Oh and the full uefi install is an IMG file for some reason. I don't think I can boot that either

KrisBee

Wizard
Had a quick look at DietPi. Installed the ova on my desktop and the install script appears to install grub, but unless the install image itself uses grub then I can't see this working in bhyve. The image file is not directly bootable in bhyve in any case, you'd have to try dd to a zvol. Alternative workaround could be to inastall in vbox under linux/windows, then convert the vdi to something that bhyve can run. The FN Webui may not allow this, iohyve might have worked. Doesn't seem worth messing with as if it's just pre-installing a lot of std debian packages.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

KrisBee

Wizard
Good point, UEFI image looks same as non-UEFI. A trip down memory lane re: dealing with RPi images got the DietpI image mounted using a loopback deivce and if does appear to be using GRUB. You might get the BOIS/CSM image to work in FN by messing with the VM device order while choosing UEFI-CSM as the boot method and attaching to the serial console. However, you'd need to fix the default grub on the Dietpi image as it's not setup for serial console use.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

diskdiddler

Wizard
Had a quick look at DietPi. Installed the ova on my desktop and the install script appears to install grub, but unless the install image itself uses grub then I can't see this working in bhyve. The image file is not directly bootable in bhyve in any case, you'd have to try dd to a zvol. Alternative workaround could be to inastall in vbox under linux/windows, then convert the vdi to something that bhyve can run. The FN Webui may not allow this, iohyve might have worked. Doesn't seem worth messing with as if it's just pre-installing a lot of std debian packages.

Sorry to be totally dumb, but how is this possible? Can or will this be fixed? I wasn't aware the shortcomings were this bad with Bhyve, I knew some people complained from time to time but that's not ideal at all.

I do not think it's possible anymore for me to install vbox, maybe but how hard would it be to do the VDI conversion method?

Will FreeNAS simply offer an import of VDI / VMDX files in time? Surely a script can be written?

diskdiddler

Wizard
I believe those files contain .IMG files which are not bootable.
I'll re-confirm but I had difficulty booting them.

(I would be well impressed if anyone can get DietPi working on their system)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
In the install notes, the image on the .iso is not bootable, it needs to be transferred to USB formatted with GPT in order to boot. I haven't yet got my head around what that means in terms of creating a bootable .iso for FreeNAS to use.

KrisBee

Wizard
The DietPi_NativePC-UEFI-x86_64-Buster.iso does boot directly in VirtualBox, if UEFI is enabled. The grub menu options then invoke clonezilla live (syslinux baed) to "restore" an image which is embedded in the iso itself. Bhyve doesn't even find the "boot6x.efi" file ... hence drops to EFI shell.

Attachments

• dietpi_1.jpeg
    dietpi_1.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 450
  • dietpi_3.jpeg
    dietpi_3.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 367
  • dietpi_2.jpeg
    dietpi_2.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 458

KrisBee

Wizard
Ok, made some progress. Installed dietpi via UEFI iso in Vbox. Converted VDI to RAW file. Copied RAW file to FN and used dd to copy RAW file to a zvol. Bhyve still drops to EFI shell but you can navigate to efi files. It falls to boot. Looks like I failed to correctly turn VDI into a useable zvol. I'll leave it for today.

Attachments

• dpi1.jpeg
    dpi1.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 457
  • dpi2jpeg.jpeg
    dpi2jpeg.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:

KrisBee

Wizard
Bingo! Not sure why dd from VDI to zvol went wrong 1st time, but this dietpi on bhyve. ( EFI boot and fdisk size mismtch to fix)

Attachments

• dpi_bhyve.jpeg
    dpi_bhyve.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 551

sretalla