Why can i not upgrade my Plex jail using iocage upgrade command?

Pimmp

Dabbler
Need some input.
- stopped the jail DID
- renamed the jail as per the recommendation of @Yorick with iocage rename plex plexmediaserver DID
- went into /mnt/Media/iocage/jails/plexmediaserver/ and renamed plex.json to plexmediaserver.json with mv plex.json plexmediaserver.json DID
- opened config.json in the same directory with nano and changed the plugin name from plex to plexmediaserver as per recommendation of @waqarahmed DID
- started the jail again - everything still worked and both jail and plugin now displayed as "plexmediaserver" Checked OK
- ran the iocage upgrade plexmediaserver -r 11.3-RELEASE command and off went the upgrade NOPE

/mnt/PlexJail/iocage/jails/plex/plex.json was not found

no becasue i renamed it to /mnt/PlexJail/iocage/jails/plexmediaserver/plexmediaserver.json

I dont know how to solve this

ddaenen1

Patron
Need some input.
- stopped the jail DID
- renamed the jail as per the recommendation of @Yorick with iocage rename plex plexmediaserver DID
- went into /mnt/Media/iocage/jails/plexmediaserver/ and renamed plex.json to plexmediaserver.json with mv plex.json plexmediaserver.json DID
- opened config.json in the same directory with nano and changed the plugin name from plex to plexmediaserver as per recommendation of @waqarahmed DID
- started the jail again - everything still worked and both jail and plugin now displayed as "plexmediaserver" Checked OK
- ran the iocage upgrade plexmediaserver -r 11.3-RELEASE command and off went the upgrade NOPE

/mnt/PlexJail/iocage/jails/plex/plex.json was not found

no becasue i renamed it to /mnt/PlexJail/iocage/jails/plexmediaserver/plexmediaserver.json

I don't know how to solve this

If you look at the plugin in the GUI, what's the name? Does it say "plexmediaserver"?

1584286495278.png

ddaenen1

Patron
This means that something in your renaming process didn't go right. Have you re-checked the config.json?

Can you post it?

And what does "iocage list" show?

This?

1584298198485.png

Last edited:

Pimmp

Dabbler
iocage list.JPG

Had to rename config.json to config.txt in order to post it

Attachments

• config.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 348

Yorick

Wizard
Your plugin name is still "plex". Use the iocage command on page 1 to change that.

I have, by the way, given up on the Plex plugin now. Too much hassle, especially now that I have hardware transcode working. Setting up a bespoke (base) jail is easy, updates itself, and I moved the data outside the jail while I was at it. Much better. There are scripts that will do all that for you.

ddaenen1

Patron
iocage rename plex plexmediaserver ???
You did not rename "plex" to "plexmediaserver" in config.json or did not save config.json after your changed it.

Code:
"plugin_name": "plex",

ddaenen1

Patron

Yorick

Wizard
iocage rename plex plexmediaserver ???

Glad you got this sorted! And no, I meant 'iocage set plugin_name="plexmediaserver" plex_jail_name' or, of course, 'iocage set plugin_name="plexmediaserver-plexpass" plex_jail_name' if you're running the "beta" code.

Editing plexmediaserver[-plexpass].json manually works just as well, from the reports in this thread.

I'd like to point out that my "rename jail" workaround was a 11.2 thing. I don't think that's needed in 11.3-U1, if the plugin is installed from scratch in that version: I see "plexmediaserver" and "plexmediaserver-plexpass" as plugin names when I choose to install the plugin, and the jail name can be freely chosen. I am thinking my renaming antics might have changed the plugin name in 11.2, and that's why it worked - the jail name may not ever had anything to do with it. -- Tested that, that's confirmed. It's the plugin name, not the jail name. I'll update my original post.

Toydoll

Dabbler
Hi

I'm trying to follow the steps but I don't have a plex.jsonin iocage/jails/plexmediaserver/

All I have is:
config.json
config_backup.json
fstab (whatever that is)
and the root directory.

Does anyone have an idea?

Yorick

Wizard
@Toydoll, is this a plugin, or a jail you created? If a jail you created, you'd use pkg inside the jail to update things. fstab handles mount points. I don't have a plex.json or plexmediaserver.json in that directory either, because I stopped using the plugin and made myself a jail. You can "grep plugin config.json" (same for the backup if you like), and if that comes up empty, this is definitely not a plugin.

Toydoll

Dabbler
Ah, I see. I've been trying to find a solution for this for so long today that I missed that part, I guess that's a sign to hit the bed. It is of couse a jail I created and not a plugin.

I made an own topic about my problem:

Darren David

Explorer
I'm in the same boat but trying to upgrade from 12.1-p13 to 12.2-RELEASE and I keep getting

Branch 12.2-RELEASE does not exist at https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-plexmediaserver-plexpass.git!

As well as hundreds of:

pkg: lua script failed

errors during the upgrade process.

Anyone else hitting this?

ThreeDee

Guru
I'm in the same boat but trying to upgrade from 12.1-p13 to 12.2-RELEASE and I keep getting

Branch 12.2-RELEASE does not exist at https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-plexmediaserver-plexpass.git!

As well as hundreds of:

errors during the upgrade process.

Anyone else hitting this?
Plex plugin jail won't update to 12.2 .. that's why I don't use the plug in anymore and just installed Plex from scratch in a 12.2 jail. Super easy and my Plex is always up to date the moment an update comes out. (I do manual updates with downloaded file from Plex.tv)

ddaenen1

Patron
Plex plugin jail won't update to 12.2 .. that's why I don't use the plug in anymore and just installed Plex from scratch in a 12.2 jail. Super easy and my Plex is always up to date the moment an update comes out. (I do manual updates with downloaded file from Plex.tv)

That is kind annoying, especially as this is a iXsystems plugin. I have tried it again today. No change. I was planning to try also with my Nextcloud but not sure anymore right now. What's the point of having plugins when they do not follow the latest standards?

ddaenen1

Patron
That is kind annoying, especially as this is a iXsystems plugin. I have tried it again today. No change. I was planning to try also with my Nextcloud but not sure anymore right now. What's the point of having plugins when they do not follow the latest standards?

Did another attempt today. Still nothing. I am not panicking as Plex is working just fine. If i knew how to manually install Plex in a jail without losing all my metadata and settings, i would consider it.

If i knew how to manually install Plex in a jail without losing all my metadata and settings, i would consider it.

Consider using @danb35's Scripted Plex installation

Trace the path to existing Plex metadata in the plugin. Stop the Plex plugin to prevent any changes to the metadata. Assuming you're using the defaults in the scripted resource, copy the metadata there e.g.

Code:
cp -Ripv -f /mnt/pool_1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/var/db/plexdata/Plex\ Media\ Server/ /mnt/pool_1/plex_data/Plex\ Media\ Server/

Last edited: