Why can I not access threads from a Search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knucklehead42

Dabbler
Happens often... I am logged in, perform a search to find help with a topic, and attempt to access threads that appear to have answers or interesting information, and all I get is a blank screen!
*IF* the search function can find it, and I have completed a login, should I not be able to read the thread?
What is happening? (And far more to the point, WHY?)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Don't use the search box at the top right of the page. Hit the More button and use the advanced search. The quick search box at the top of the page is severely broken.

knucklehead42

Dabbler
Are we looking at the same forum system? You say:
Don't use the search box at the top right of the page. Hit the More button and use the advanced search.
And yet I see no "More" button, just the Search box in the Upper Right, which you say to avoid, and I believe you...
and at the top, when "Forums" is selected, a series of actions that might get what one wants, including:
"Mark Forums Read"; "Search Forums"; "Watched Forums"; etc...
Is the "Search Forums" tab the one I want? It allows for some advanced searching...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
and all I get is a blank screen!
Works fine for me on Firefox 58.0.2 as a mod and Edge 41.16299.248.0 as regular user. Also, I just noticed we have a new search system. Can't be worse than the last one.

And yet I see no "More" button
It appears after clicking the search bar, but it's unlikely to solve your problem.

knucklehead42

Dabbler
Works fine for me on Firefox 58.0.2 as a mod and Edge 41.16299.248.0 as regular user. Also, I just noticed we have a new search system. Can't be worse than the last one.
It appears after clicking the search bar, but it's unlikely to solve your problem.
I am using Google Chrome Version 65.0.3325.146 (Official Build) (64-bit) from Debian Linux 9.3...
The Win boxen in my sig are my wife's - I don't often have full access to them for working software issues or my normal browsing/solution hunting

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It would help narrow it down if you could try Firefox.

Redcoat

MVP

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Redcoat

MVP
No, a completely blank page with the bad url on the line - I just made a test, here's an example (but I can't fix this one with the edit I mentioned that worked in some cases).

https://forums.freenas.org/posts/240426

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Huh... I could swear this used to cause 404s, not blank pages.

I hate intermittent issues.

knucklehead42

Dabbler
It would help narrow it down if you could try Firefox.
Not to be the KnuckleHead of my log-name, but why would FireFox potentially "solve" getting blank pages when clicking on a link from a search?
What does FireFox do that Chrome does not?
And, this behavior is something that happens with my machine, a Debian 9.4 Linux machine with 32GB RAM and current software - I never loaded FireFox on this machine... Must I?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
why would FireFox potentially "solve" getting blank pages when clicking on a link from a search?
It could be something client-side that the search functionality needs (or in this case, something that is somewhat broken). Doesn't seem to the case here, but don't be fooled into thinking of browsers as simple layout renderers. Especially Chrome, which is well on its way to becoming the successor of IE6.

Status
Not open for further replies.