Which motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F. Gabe

Cadet
Hi everybody, I am building my first server / NAS on a budget and I would like an advice for on which motherboard I should choose.

The cheapest mobos with ECC that I have found are:
Gigabyte GA X150M PRO ECC
Gigabyte GA X150 PRO ECC
Gigabyte GA X170 Extreme ECC
Asrock X99 Extreme 4/6

Which would you choose?
Are there others for maximum 200€?
Thanks in advance,
Gabe

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
None of these are good choices. The X99 board, in particular, has extremely dubious ECC capabilities.

If you increase your budget slightly, boards such as the X11SSL-F or X10SLM+-F are readily available around 210€ and provide a much more pleasant experience.

darkwarrior

Patron
Hi there,

What will be your use case ?
Are you considering CPU heavy usage like with Plex transcoding ?
If not, you could check out the HP Microserver Gen8.
Quite a few members on the forum are using it happily , and I'm currently thinking about getting one for myself as a backup system.
Build HP Microserver Gen8

It :
- is quite compact
- has 4 hotswap bays
- has integrated ILO/IPMI fo headless and painless operations
The entry model comes with a Intel Celeron G1610T CPU and 2/4GB of RAM for around 200€ (+ $$ for the RAM upgrade).

The box is Powerfull enough for most use-cases, when just serving up files and not thinking about VMs, bhyve or heavy plug-ins/Jails etc.
If you don't need more than 4 disks it could be a valuable alternative, since you are on a budget.

Have fun ;)

F. Gabe

Cadet
@Ericloewe Firstly thanks for the advice, I won't buy by any chance the x99.
Unfortunately the Supermicro motherboards in my country cost (like in many others countries) much more. Both the X10SLM+-F and the X11SSL-F go for 260 €. I have already gone over budget by 100 € so I can't really get them.

@darkwarrior - Thanks very much also to you for the answer. I will use Plex but never with more than one user at the same time and not always with transcoding.
I have thought about the Microserver many times but I have two problems with it:
-First of all it I already have 4 Disks so I would fully load the bays. Also I am planning to get other 3/4 disks in the next year.
-Secondly, the server would be in my server rack so it would use a huge amount of space!

Thanks again!
Br,
Gabe

darkwarrior

Patron
@darkwarrior - Thanks very much also to you for the answer. I will use Plex but never with more than one user at the same time and not always with transcoding.
I have thought about the Microserver many times but I have two problems with it:
-First of all it I already have 4 Disks so I would fully load the bays. Also I am planning to get other 3/4 disks in the next year.
-Secondly, the server would be in my server rack so it would use a huge amount of space!

Thanks again!
Br,
Gabe

Ah yeah, if you have 4 disks, you consider expanding by 3/4 disks and you want rack mounted gear, the Microserver won't cut it :p:cool:
I don't know in which country you're living in, but did you consider 2nd hand server gear to avoid buying a new supermicro MB ?

Status
Not open for further replies.