Where should we post new threads?

Ever since the release of 12.x, FreeNAS is now known as TrueNAS Core. However, we still have the "Help & Support" subforums under the FreeNAS category, while the TrueNAS category contains no such subforums.

1) Will the "FreeNAS" category be renamed to "TrueNAS Core" in this message board?

2) If someone has questions in regards to hardware, native ZFS encryption, storage issues, plugins, sharing services, etc, yet they are using 12.x (TrueNAS Core), do they ask under the FreeNAS subforums (e.g, Storage, Hardware, Plugins, etc) or in the TrueNAS forum? I think it might cause needless hopping around if it's unclear where to present your questions.

I'm testing some things with 12.0-RELEASE under a virtual machine, and now I have more questions that apply to native ZFS encryption after playing around with it. Intuitively, it makes more sense to ask these questions in the "Storage" subforum; yet this is categorized under "FreeNAS".

I'm very likely to just ask in the Storage subforum, since it revolves around ZFS and native encryption.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There hasn't been a restructuring of the subforums since the name change and introduction of TrueNAS Scale as well.

I would suggest that there was always some overlap between FreeNAS and TrueNAS.

The Linux stuff clearly doesn't belong in the FreeNAS area. TrueNAS Core posts are likely to end up in either the TrueNAS forum or the FreeNAS subforums.

If we really don't like something you've done, the moderators will move things, and possibly provide a little feedback about why.

Until that happens, my suggestion would just be to wait and see how it evolves. I think it was a bit of a mess even before the name change.

Sounds good to me. Hope in the future it's all consolidated and perhaps there can be a new forum named "FreeNAS Legacy (11.3 and earlier)" to keep it separate from TrueNAS Core.

I'll ask in the Storage subforum in the meantime.

The guide doesn't explain more than what is explained in the GUI already: https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/initial-setup/storage/encryption/