Where did the available space go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryVog

Explorer
After updating to 9.10.1-U2 I noticed that the Alert wasn't green anymore, but blinked yellow. So I clicked to see what's going on and I got:
WARNING: Oct. 5, 2016, 2:40 p.m. - The capacity for the volume 'freenas-boot' is currently at 81%, while the recommended value is below 80%.

Right after that, my iMac reported that it has been 18 days ago since it last backed up to TimeMachine. I don't know if this is related to the storage problem or not, but it might be.

I mainly use my FreeNAS server for TimeMachine backups and as a PlexMediaServer. So I tried freeing up some space on the server by removing some of the movies from Plex. I removed 40GB, but still got the 81% warning, so that didn't help.

Another thing to notice is that there is 2.42TB available and the total capacity of the server is 4.67 TB, according to macOS. If 81% of the capacity is in use, 9% should be available. And 9% of 4.67 TB should be around 430 GB; not 2.42TB. So according to my Mac there is much more available storage space than there is according to the FreeNAS server. Still it refuses to do it's TimeMachine backups to it.

How do I resolve this storage issue and how do I get TimeMachine to backup again? Any help would be much appreciated.

HeloJunkie

Patron
It looks like you might be confusing your boot device with your pool(s).

nojohnny101

Wizard
When you upgrade or change builds in FreeNAS, previous boot environments are archived on the boot media (USB or SSD however you have it setup) so that is what is causing the warning.

Go in and delete old boot environments to clean up the space problem.

TerryVog

Explorer
Aaah! That explains a lot. I deleted all but the previous one and now I have plenty of free space.

This probably means that my TimeMachine problems are totally unrelated. I'll have to look into that then.

Status
Not open for further replies.