When to enable SMB2/3 Durable Handles?

seanm

Guru
The docs say:

Enable SMB2/3 Durable HandlescheckboxAllow using open file handles that can withstand short disconnections. Support for POSIX byte-range locks in Samba is also disabled. This option is not recommended when configuring multi-protocol or local access to files.

The first sentence sounds like something everyone would want.

The second sentence I don't know... Sounds more like a con than a pro. What kinds of use cases rely on such locks?

The third sentence seems fine. Multi-protocol is generally discouraged IIRC and not something I do personally.

Basically, it's not clear to me if/when this option should be on/off, and I'd appreciate any guidance or shared experience.

Thanks.

seanm

Guru
Thanks for the bump. :)

6 weeks ago I enabled it on two shares. One of my Time Machine shares, and my primary file share (used by Mac, Windows, and linux users) and so far have noticed no difference, for better nor worse.

sretalla