What's your Idle Power Consumption? (+ HW recommendations)

awasb

Patron
But you're not comparing CPU's here. You're comparing complete systems. [...]

Exactly. In my experience, the more and the faster spinning drives you add (and controllers eventually), the more the CPU's power consumption is negligible.

I've got an old C2750 here in my test system @home and it draws 28W at the wall: just the MoBo/BMC, CPU, 32GB ECC RAM, 3 fans w/o drives, but all onboard controllers enabled. And that's with a "dirty" bronze 300W SFX-PSU.

Idle with 10 1TB 2.5" (!) data drives, 1 boot ssd and (dual nvme) SLOG it's 37.5W. The power consumption of those WD REDs 2.5" is 0.6W idle and 1.4W mixed activity (per drive). Compare that with 3.5" hdds ...

Under "load" it's up to 55W while replicating all datasets "full tilt" (zfs stream via 1GbE/ssh+plzip) to a backup server. That's (incrementally) done about half an hour per day.

The jails/VMs (1 dnsmasq; 1 devuan + docker) don't add up anything worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Scharbag

Guru
Ooooof...

According to my UPS, my system runs around 450W. Of note is that my host is running ESXi and I have 10VMs running all the time.

Still, my system is a POWER-PIG!! I guess 3 chassis, 41 physical drives and a dual socket Xeon all add up to use some power... Some day I will buy some larger drives and reduce my footprint. For now, I will just have to pay the power bill.

Cheers,

According to my UPS, my system runs around 450W.
There are small room and personal heaters that have a setting for "low" of around 375W.

Your system can literally be used to heat up a small room just as much, if not better, than some of these personal heaters at their "low" setting! :oops:

Does the room with your server feel notably hotter than elsewhere?

Scharbag

Guru
193F19FB-164C-447A-9B7E-E6B14F5B0646.jpeg

There are small room and personal heaters that have a setting for "low" of around 375W.

Your system can literally be used to heat up a small room just as much, if not better, than some of these personal heaters at their "low" setting! :oops:

Does the room with your server feel notably hotter than elsewhere?
It is in a closet in my garage. I installed a bathroom fan in there to pump the heat into my garage. Bonus is that it keeps my garage warm in winter!!! :)

awasb

Patron
Wow! A LaserJet Pro M451 CP2025 in the garage. Parts, diagramms and repair instructions with colours! (That thing adds to the 450W bill, too.)

Scharbag

Guru
Wow! A LaserJet Pro M451 CP2025 in the garage. Parts, diagramms and repair instructions with colours! (That thing adds to the 450W bill, too.)
Yup, keeps me nice and warm in the winter. :)