What's the best way to recreate the speed of NTFS file table search on FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTheNASBuilder

Dabbler
My previous NAS was Windows based and I'll admit I got pretty addicted to using the handle NTFS file table search tool "Everything" to locate files.

After around two months of using FreeNAS I really miss that lightning fast search. The files in my system are, for the most part, static (but numerous) with maybe 100 new files created over the course of each week. As such I don't need the instant NTFS-table type search Everything provides but I would like the *concept* of the search wherein I can, with extreme speed, search through an index of file names.

Ideally this solution would be easily accessible from a Windows desktop without a lot of steps to access it. I could use the "locate" command on the FreeNAS (after building my search DB of course) but that would require opening an SSH session every time I wanted to search for anything and logging into my box.

Is there a practical solution that would allow me to index the contents of the FreeNAS files (all in accessible file shares by the way) from a Windows machine that would 1) give me that speedy search and 2) not incur huge overhead or potentially harm the NAS?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is there a practical solution that would allow me to index the contents of the FreeNAS files (all in accessible file shares by the way) from a Windows machine that would 1) give me that speedy search and 2) not incur huge overhead or potentially harm the NAS?

Sadly, no and no. :(

JTheNASBuilder

Dabbler
Man. =(

Surely somebody has to have cooked up some sort of solution? I mean the very nature of FreeNAS begs for the storage of lots... and lots... and lots of files that need to be eventually found.

Status
Not open for further replies.