What triggers CPU information emails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted47050

I have my FreeNAS set to send me email notifications when something goes wrong, but every now and then I also receive emails like the following:

freenas.local kernel log messages:
CPU: AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor (1497.54-MHz K8-class CPU)
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1497543466 Hz quality 800
vboxdrv: fAsync=0 offMin=0x3ab offMax=0x10b0

-- End of security output --

I believe these messages are logged every time the machine boots, but do you know if there could be any other event which could trigger an email like this?

Inb4 "wtf is this question": I manage this box remotely so I would like to know what goes on when I am not there :P

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hmm, it's the vboxdrv message. Some people occasionally or frequently get it.

Nobody's found a pattern. I looked around a bit, but found no smoking gun. They seem to be innocuous.

D

Deleted47050

Hmm, it's the vboxdrv message. Some people occasionally or frequently get it.

Nobody's found a pattern. I looked around a bit, but found no smoking gun. They seem to be innocuous.

Ah so I was wrong thinking this had to do with the machine booting.. Ok then, at least they are innocuous :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ah so I was wrong thinking this had to do with the machine booting.. Ok then, at least they are innocuous :)
You'd get the whole long output from the log.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oddly enough, some people get just the vboxdrv line and others get a slightly longer message, like above.

Even more oddly, there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between getting the message and using VirtualBox (I'm guessing vboxdrv is a driver for some VirtualBox service, like networking).

My purely speculative guess is that the additional CPU lines might be from a core being explicitly set aside by the OS for VirtualBox (I'm not sure any OS would do such a thing) and then reclaimed for general usage.

D

Deleted47050

Oddly enough, some people get just the vboxdrv line and others get a slightly longer message, like above.

Even more oddly, there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between getting the message and using VirtualBox (I'm guessing vboxdrv is a driver for some VirtualBox service, like networking).

My purely speculative guess is that the additional CPU lines might be from a core being explicitly set aside by the OS for VirtualBox (I'm not sure any OS would do such a thing) and then reclaimed for general usage.

On this box I am running the Plex plugin and, if I remember correctly, all plugins use a Virtualbox container, correct? This would explain the existence of the vboxdrv messages even though it would not clarify why and when they appear.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
D

Deleted47050

No.

Plugins are nicely-packed-up jails (or so the theory goes). No virtualization.

I must be getting confused then. I seem to remember that the first time I was testing plugin install inside a FreeNAS test system, the plugin section showed that it was downloading something Virtualbox related (I remember this because I was on a very slow connection that time and it took a painful amount of time to complete because of this step).

D

Deleted47050

I managed to check that same test system I mentioned in my previous post. There is indeed a VirtualBox-4.3.12 jail template among the others, although there are zero instances of it. I can't remember right now, but perhaps this gets downloaded the first time you enable a plugin? I don't know, still there should be nothing on my system using Virtualbox in any way so that system log message seems really random.

Status
Not open for further replies.