What to do next....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutty451

Cadet
Hi all.

About 2 years ago I decided to build myself a NAS from an old PC (very old... Compaq Presario 6000 series, circa 2000).
This is what I ended up with (and only because I found an idiots guide on how to build it):

Hostname nas4free.local
Version 9.0.0.1 - Sandstorm (revision 67)
Built date Sun Apr 15 19:19:23 CEST 2012
Platform OS FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE (revision 199506)
Platform x86-embedded on AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+
System Compaq 07D0h Bios: 686Y4 v3.06 11/21/

I put 2x 2TB drives into it, have the OS running on an old 40gig HD that was originally in the pc.
The fact I got the thing to work at all is quite frankly a miracle, but I did, and its been great since.

Its used for storage of mainly movies/tv stuff, which I stream to 2 TV's in the house (via a WDTV live linked to each tv). The WDTV's are set up for Linux shares(?).

My drives are fast filling up, I don't have any backup running and its time to either start again or upgrade. I was considering just going out and buying an off the shelf NAS and then transferring everything over. The cost of that is a bit of a stumbling block....and so here I am asking for some guidance and advice from your good selves.

I'd like to have a better set-up, more drive space, some sort of back-up (raid) to cover disk failure.
I think the Compaq is probably well past its sell by date and probably needs swapping out for something else. There is no more space inside it for extra drives, and I dread to think how much power its chewing up everyday (it runs pretty much 24/7).

Can anyone offer advice on what my best options are?

Many thanks in advance.

gpsguy

One thing I'll point out, is that you have been running NAS4free, which is not the same as FreeNAS. If you want to stay with their product, you'll need to visit their forum for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.