what TN Scale version will be able to allow growing a ZFS pool by adding a drive? Is it coming any soon?

titust1

Explorer
For instance if you have a RaidZ1 with 3 drives will give you the capacity of 2. If you could add a drive to the pool you could increase the capacity to 3 drives, by using 4 drives total, and the redundancy level remaining the same.
It's been a while I am waiting for this feature that is available for a long time on Solaris. Actually from the beginning of ZFS.
I know it depends on the Linux kernels, etc... But last year I read that it should come soon.
Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Actually from the beginning of ZFS.
No, it has not been available from the beginning of ZFS--if it had been, it would also have been in OpenZFS, and thus in Free/TrueNAS, from its beginning.
I know it depends on the Linux kernels
It has nothing to do with the Linux kernel; Linus has an irrational hatred for ZFS. It's rather a matter of when it gets incorporated into OpenZFS, and from there into the TrueNAS UI.

But I recall seeing someone from iX saying it should be released in TrueNAS by the end of this year. Whether that will actually happen, of course, is unknown.

sfatula

Guru
It is supposed to be in 24.10, according to kmoore. Presuming the bugs get worked out. And danb35 is correct, it has not been a feature of zfs. It's on some other filesystems.