What SAS/SATA card to use? (Have aoc-saslp-mv8 now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redheadedrod

Cadet
I am new to FreeNAS and I am building a server right now from an old Windows Server box I have.

This box had an AOC-SASLP-MV8 card in it which apparently won't work with FreeNAS so I am looking for a replacement.

I am running on a recent high performance ASUS motherboard with an i5 processor and 24gigs of RAM. (Was originally intended to be a HomeServer box but not being used as such anymore.) I will make use of the onboard SATA ports for now but need a replacement for my card.

I am looking at potentially getting the suggested Intel ServeRAID M1015 but I am curious if it will work with the SATA cables I already own. I can probably get back most of my cost by selling my old card but curious if this is still the suggested card to get?

This machine will be used to basically backup my Windows File server in a home environment. (I am a CIS and InfoSec student so working with different packages is beneficial for me.) I will likely use it to backup the files off my windows server and also use some of FreeNAS's extra stuff.

Rodney

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
SATA cables I already own.
Assuming you were using them with the old card, they're the same.

curious if this is still the suggested card to get
Yes. Alternatives include the LSI SAS 9211, SAS 9207, SAS 9240 (the equivalent of the M1015), IBM M1115.

i5 processor and 24gigs of RAM.
Note that ECC is strongly recommended. It would imply a new motherboard+CPU+RAM.

recent high performance ASUS motherboard
Sounds like a recipe for headaches, depending on what kind of stuff it has onboard.

redheadedrod

Cadet
This machine is meant to backup my main server that is currently based on 2012 R 2 but is likely to be upgraded to the latest assuming a new version of server comes out with windows 10.
I am taking advantage of the "free" windows server stuff for students and have my home server stuff built on a Supermicro based board. I MAY in the future replace this asus board but at the moment it is setup to mainly just backup my main server and maybe provide a few extra features. It ran my windows server just fine although the LAN driver needed to be tweaked. (Was compatible with the server sw but wasn't certified so you had to tell the driver it was ok.) I also have a standard generic LAN port in that computer that can also be used so it has 2 Lan ports which seem to work with FreeNAS just fine.

The Asus motherboard works great other than needing more HD ports.
It does have onboard video and sound but I obviously don't use the sound.

My Supermicro board has a combo of like 12 HD ports (Some are SAS/Sata) a Xeon processor and will handle up to 512gig of ram and is a 2012 socket board. I used it because it had the many drives and it will use either ECC or non ECC ram. I have been putting my "old" 4gig ddr3 ram on that board from my desktops as I have upgraded each to 8gig memory modules. Works great for my Windows stuff with vhosts etc... No intension of using it for a FreeNAS server. Down the road when I upgrade the Supermicro server board I will consider using the old one as a FreeNAS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.