What processor for a X10SL7-F mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Has been for several years now.

southwow

Contributor
I've been running one since 9.x (2+ years?) and have had zero issues with USB 3.0 via the onboard header. Didn't have to tinker with anything other than flashing the onboard SAS controller to IT

joebad1

Explorer
Wanted to pick up a point @Chris Moore made in this thread and get some more info..

@Chris Moore said:
That is one of the big differences between a Xeon E3 CPU and a Xeon E5 CPU. Even in the X9 boards, the E3 processors only support UDIMM (un-registered) memory. The board I pointed out is only able to operate with plain UDIMM or ECC UDIMM, but not with registered memory.

Looking at a X9 or X10 uATX / MicroATX board that supports DDR3 ECC registered memory. Based on the above comment, I need to be looking for boards that accept E5 processors. I can't seem to find a X9/E5 or X10/E5 Micro ATX board on SuperMicro's website that supports EDIT: [DDR3] registered memory. Does anyone know of any boards that meet those specs?

I have access to the following ECC RDIMMs locally but want to confirm compatibility before picking any of them up.
  • Samsung M393B5273CH0-CH9 4GB 2Rx8 PC3 10600R-09-10-B0-D2.
  • Hynix HMT351R7BFR8A-H9 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L 10600R-9-10-B0.
  • Hynix HMT151R7TFR4C-H9 4GB 2Rx4 PC3 10600R-9-10-E1.
I assume they're registered, based on their model config. I haven't decided on a specific motherboard yet and have another thread going trying to figure out which motherboard is best for an ESXi-based FreeNAS AIO setup.

Thanks for clarifying!

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I can't seem to find a X9/E5 or X10/E5 Micro ATX board on SuperMicro's website that supports registered memory
They all do, that's half the point of a Xeon E5.

Thanks for the lightning quick reply, @Ericloewe!

I was under the impression that SuperMicro would specify the UDIMMs and RDIMMs in their memory column (which they do for some boards), but I think they must have assumed that anyone looking at E5-compatible boards would have automatically known that E5 compatibility with registered memory goes without saying... :)

So from that info, I see that there is only one category of SuperMicro E5 boards that are also compatible with DDR3 registered memory, that's the "Xeon® E5 Family Boards / Socket R (LGA 2011)" X9 category. Under this category:

ATX
• X9SRA *
• X9SRi *
• X9SRi-F *
• X9SRi-3F *
• X9SRE *
• X9SRE-F *
• X9SRE-3F *
• X9SRH-7F
• X9SRH-7TF
• X9SRL-F *
• X9SRL *

Proprietary
• X9SRD-F *
• X9SRG-F *
• X9SRW-F *

So, looks like no microATX / uATX boards are in this specific E5 / DDR3 ECC RDIMM Venn Diagram area? Unless I'm missing something here?

At this point looks like I should forget about trying to find a MicroATX board that is compatible with the DDR3 ECC registered memory idea, right?
pixel.gif

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
At this point looks like I should forget about trying to find a MicroATX board that is compatible with the DDR3 ECC registered memory idea, right?
Full ATX is the way to go. The other point of a Xeon E5 is that is has many more PCIe lanes to work with, so you want to have the slots on the board to add cards to the system.

I recently bought two of these to build new servers at home. It is a great deal.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Unopened-Super-Micro-Motherboard-LGA-2011-MBD-X9SRL-F-O/253300204890

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I was under the impression that SuperMicro would specify the UDIMMs and RDIMMs in their memory column (which they do for some boards), but I think they must have assumed that anyone looking at E5-compatible boards would have automatically known that E5 compatibility with registered memory goes without saying
This is straight from the Supermicro website:
Code:
Memory Capacity
  • 8x 240-pin DDR3 DIMM slots
  • Up to 512GB DDR3 ECC LRDIMM
  • Up to 256GB DDR3 ECC RDIMM
  • Up to 64GB DDR3 ECC/non-ECC UDIMM

LRDIMM = Load Reduced DIMM (Load Reduced is also Registered)
RDIMM = Registered DIMM
UDIMM = Unbuffered DIMM ( this is not registered )

Thanks for the rec, @Chris Moore!

The X9SRL-F-O looks terrific, and that is indeed a great deal. Here's the thing- I have a Fractal Node 804 and am trying to find a MicroATX motherboard that works for that case and budget dictates a DDR3 approach. If, like you said, I am just missing out on the extra PCI lanes and therefore limiting my future expansion, that doesn't seem so hot, but this is also my first build so if I go cheaper I could even make plans for a backup NAS in the next year or so.

In another thread you recommended the X9SCM-F along with an E3-1230 v2 for a Micro ATX build. Still support that recommendation?

Scenario 1:
Keep the case, go with a MicroATX but scrap the local RAM deal I have I have, which is 64 GB of DDR3 ECC RDIMMs for $5 each 4GB module, because nothing is compatible. Case goes into the office, meaning easier 10GbE networking down the road. Cheaper motherboard, cheaper RAM, limited expansion? I do love the size of this though.

Scenario 2:
Scrap the case, go with something bigger like the X9SRL-F-O and capitalize on the local RAM deal. If I do this, I might as well look into rackmount deals as I figure they might be cheaper than buying everything piecemeal if I am going bigger. With this approach, a 12 bay or 18 bay case would be best for future expansion, so a 2U seems to work but the options on Ebay are... plentiful to say the least :) Do you have some recommendations as far as used server hardware currently available that meets my needs?

Again, ESXi based FreeNAS build, with the goal of running several VMs, starting with 6 x 6TB or 8TB (if I shuck some of those USB 3.0 enclosure WDs or Seagates).

Hope to settle on a practical approach shortly!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
In another thread you recommended the X9SCM-F along with an E3-1230 v2 for a Micro ATX build. Still support that recommendation?
Nothing wrong with it, but it can't use the Registered ECC memory. I saved $200 on the build I am working on now just going with Registered DDR3 instead of the unbuffered, which is more expensive.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Scrap the case, go with something bigger
Here is what I would suggest:
This chassis has a dual socket system board, all you need to do is add RAM, a couple CPUs, a SAS controller and drives.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO...9DRI-F-BPN-SAS2-846EL1-24x-TRAYS/382231880992

This is the type of processor I just bought for my server. You can run dual processor config with this, which is good for virtualization. It will give you 16 real cores to work with, 32 with hyperthreading.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-SR1A...Z-8GT-S-QPI-PROCESSOR-CHIP-SR1A8/372247365228

Then you can get the memory you were already looking at.

You will need a SAS controller to connect to the SAS expander backplane that is built into the chassis. This is the kind I use in my 48bay chassis:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-H310-...D-High-Air-Flow/162834671120?epid=19006955695

I didn't do the math, but all of that might even come under $1000 and it includes a dual (redundant) power supply so you don't have to worry about buying a power supply or having a power supply failure taking the server down.

Status
Not open for further replies.