What is the upgrade path to go from 9.3 to 11.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul.G

Dabbler
I need to upgrade a freenas server from 9.3 to a current version of 11.3.

Is it possible to go directly to 11.3, or does it require an incremental upgrade first?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well it's kind of impossible at the moment since 11.2 hasn't even been released let alone 11.3. ;)

Do a manual upgrade to 9.10 and then upgrade to 11.1-U4 via the GUI.

Paul.G

Dabbler
Oh - oops! I guess that would be a tricky upgrade to 11.3. :)
Ok, cool - going to test the upgrade offline to avoid hosing a production server.

TAC

Contributor
So if I go from 9.10 to 11.1.-U4 are there issues where the jails/apps won't update in the future?

I'm running Plex, sonarr, etc. and was under the impression once I upgrade everything should run, but if I wanted to update any applications in the future I'd have to re-create the jails.

catnas

Explorer
Do a manual upgrade to 9.10 and then upgrade to 11.1-U4 via the GUI.

For someone who is on 9.10 right now, what's going to happen to my plugins and jails? Will those jails be "upgrade" to a more recent image? Will they continue to work as they do right now? I have a lot of custom stuff running that I would hate to have to redo.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

TAC

Contributor
Jailer, just to clarify. If we update to 11.2 from FreeNAS 9.10 our jails should work as they do today, but as updates come out for the applications we are running those will not be able to update. If this is the case, as apps are updated to 'must have' revision it will be required to redo the jails. Maybe just a reinstall to a new jail, copy a config file, delete 9.10 jail?

Would this still be the case with my Plex install that I manually update? For some reason my Plex plugin has never updated so I do it myself.

I was sure I read somewhere that FreeNAS 11.2 was going to include a script that would 'convert' jails with no fuss or muss. :)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
11.2 hasn't been released yet. The only 11.2 currently available is the nightly build and I would not recommend that for a production machine.
If we update to 11.2 from FreeNAS 9.10 our jails should work as they do today, but as updates come out for the applications we are running those will not be able to update. If this is the case, as apps are updated to 'must have' revision it will be required to redo the jails. Maybe just a reinstall to a new jail, copy a config file, delete 9.10 jail?
Correct.
Would this still be the case with my Plex install that I manually update? For some reason my Plex plugin has never updated so I do it myself.
If you've been manually updating it then what you are currently doing will probably continue to work. I manually updated my plugin for about a year or so before I switched to a manual install in a standard jail.
I was sure I read somewhere that FreeNAS 11.2 was going to include a script that would 'convert' jails with no fuss or muss.
It's supposed to but as far as I know no one has tested it outside of internal testing at iX.

Status
Not open for further replies.