What is the current status of AFP support in the most recent FreeNAS 8???

Status
Not open for further replies.

plq

Dabbler
Being a Mac user, and photographer, I am keen to have a ZFS file system for my data (and I am testing the Z-410 version which may become an extension to OS X).

But there are many good reasons to have your backup over a network (you can put it in the garage for example), which is the reason to revisit FreeNAS. It has been a few years since I last ran it, and the product has evolved greatly. The UI is vastly improved, and zfs is in place.

What is the current status of AFP in the most recent releases?

Does it work for normal transfers?

Are the problems confined to Time Machine currently?

Is anyone running FreeNAS with other backup and syncing SW, such as Chronosync?

Best regards,

peter

louisk

Patron
Not sure what you mean by "normal transfers". It works fine for reading/writing files, if that's what you're asking.

I'm not convinced that time machine over a network is a good idea for fundamental design reasons, but ymmv. If I was looking for a way to backup my lightroom catalogs and pictures, I would probably roll my own solution using a shell script and rsync, and then automate it with launchd (using lingon in the appstore makes this really easy).

plq

Dabbler
Thanks!!

Not sure what you mean by "normal transfers". It works fine for reading/writing files, if that's what you're asking.

I'm not convinced that time machine over a network is a good idea for fundamental design reasons, but ymmv. If I was looking for a way to backup my lightroom catalogs and pictures, I would probably roll my own solution using a shell script and rsync, and then automate it with launchd (using lingon in the appstore makes this really easy).

Dear louisk,

Sorry for not being more precise, but reading and writing files is what I meant with 'normal operations'.

I agree with your view on Time Machine on network attached storage. The interface is not published, and Apple wants to sell its own disk boxes, so using that is not necessarily a good idea.

I will most certainly check out lingon, launchd and rsync.

My primary alternative is Chronosync, which I primariy use for syncing significant directories between my machines, and some backup operations.

BR,
peter

louisk

Patron
Well, if you already have, and are familiar with chronosync, and it does what you want, I don't see a good reason to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.