Weird ip conflict

Scorch95

Dabbler
Good evening everyone.
I’m building my first freenas server with a Gigabyte ga-7tesm board with L5640 cpu and Hynix ddr3-1333ecc ram. The problem I have is it seems like the board wants to hijack my router’s ip address and I can’t figure a way to stop it from happening. I originally plugged in one Ethernet cable into eth1 for the main connection and my network fell apart. I went in to bios and set IPMI to 192.168.1.3 and it it seemed to fix the issue until I added the IPMI cable into the mix and it broke everything again. (It may have only been a partial fix looking back) Since then half my devices always want to associate 192.168.1.1 with the server and not my router unless I turn them on while the server is disconnected and reach out to the router. This seems to semi fix the problem until they reboot and then they map back to the IPMI page. I have tried dhcp reservations at the router level and it doesn’t seem to help. What am I missing? I wouldn't think I could reach the ipmi page and the the freenas gui on the same ethernet cable. I thought you had to have one cable for each. So at the moment I can reach freenas gui at 192.168.1.10 and the ipmi at 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.3.

just for reference here is the full build list.
  • rosewill 4u rack mount
  • seasonic focus plus 650w gold
  • gigabyte ga-7tesm
  • 2x L5640
  • 8x4GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered
  • 2x 8087sff to 8482 cables running from onboard sas controller to hdd.
  • 2x kingston a400 120gb ssd (mirror boot)
  • 6x HGST Ultrastar 4TB hdd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
Is there a firmware update available?
Protip - A quick and dirty way to flush the ARP cache on any host to to unplug the ethernet cable and plug it back in. No need to reboot.
I would be interested in seeing the ARP traffic. can you run a packet cap and share a computers arp request for 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.3 and the subsequent arp responses?

Scorch95

Dabbler
I would be than willing. Unfortunately while I understand what you asked it’s a little too advanced for me. If you could point me to a resource that walks thru it I can post those results. Also I’m sick at the moment with very little desire to move around so it may be a day or so until I improve. One of the computers and the devices that have issues are wireless.

kdragon75

Wizard
A program like wireshark would capture all of the data that your computer can see on the network. Basically close any software that uses internet, run wireshark, ping 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.3. save the file and upload it. I will mention that this will save ALL data that is flowing on the network at the time. Some of it may be considered sensitive by some people. If you not using any websites or running any sensitive network services its not a big deal.

Scorch95

Dabbler
Just got wireshark loaded. Do you want me to ping it when the network is sending packets to the freenas box or when I’m able to get it to function semi correctly? I ask as I have it I believe somewhat normal however if I plug the IPMI Ethernet back into the switch it will go all wonky. I could probably do both Bose and post two files.

kdragon75

Wizard
Just in the non working state for now please.

Scorch95

Dabbler
Here is the file compressed. although internet activity was still present.

Attachments

• wireshark file.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
Hmm.. I don't see anything out of place. I don't see a flood of broadcast traffic, excess ARP chatter... Care to try again in promiscuous mode?

Scorch95

Dabbler
I’ll retry when back home and I’ll upload it as soon as I can. It seems random when it affects the network. The only thing I can get to reliably happen is to take over 1.1 from a pfsense router. I am waiting for bad locks to finish and then I will go back into bios and check the bios revision and see if there are any network settings that seem out of place as well. However that won’t be able to happen until this weekend.

Scorch95

Dabbler
This isn't promisuous mode but its a series of different recordings. the one that is labeled as freenas added is when I plug the freenas box into the switch. Right before this I was able to reach my router at 192.168.1.1. Then the next file is 2 computers. I ran a ping test on one computer that is wireless to both 1.1 and 1.3. then the next one is partial internet down, where I am attempting to reach the freenas forums and can not make contact. I then try to ping it with no success. I also ping google and google with success so not sure why its one but not all. The last is when I remove the freenas box from the switch and the freenas forum loads right after.

I will read up on promiscuous mode and attempt that if this doesnt get you anything useful.

Attachments

• wireshark file.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 315
Does that box perhaps have IPMI with a default IP address that conflicts with your router? All the behavior you describe is quite consistent with an IP address conflict.

Scorch95

Dabbler
Yes but I’ve logged in and changed it both inside the bios and in the IPMI interface itself (192.168.1.3) to no avail. It continually will take the address back over, even when the IPMI Ethernet connection isn’t plugged in but just the normal Ethernet connection is active.

Yes but I’ve logged in and changed it both inside the bios and in the IPMI interface itself (192.168.1.3) to no avail. It continually will take the address back over, even when the IPMI Ethernet connection isn’t plugged in but just the normal Ethernet connection is active.

It could be that the BIOS has a setting that allows IPMI to use a shared ethernet connection instead of the dedicated one. My advise would be to connect something that has Wireshark running via a back to back cable to the FreeNAS. With Wireshark capturing, ping all the IP's that have problems. See if you get a response. Also, do an arp -a to list the hardware addresses associated with those IP addresses. If any of the IP's are questionable, you can see what manufacturer owns them using the OUI lookup tool on the Wireshark web site https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html.

Redcoat

MVP
It could be that the BIOS has a setting that allows IPMI to use a shared ethernet connection instead of the dedicated one.
My Asrock board's BIOS has this feature and it is enabled by default to get an IP from DHCP.
I read the online version of the manuals for the OP's Gigabyte ga-7tesm board looking for that option, but it is not mentioned there. Doesn't mean that the installed BIOS doesn't have it, of course...

Scorch95

Dabbler
I was wondering if perhaps the connections are bonded, if that is the right word. I am waiting on a video card that has hdmi as the tv next to the box does not have a vga connection. I will be able to get back in the bios then. I know the IPMI GUI does have an option for getting the up from the dhcp server but I will also check inside the bios when the above card arrives. Is it better to do the dhcp reservation at the router level or set the static at the machine level? Or is it okay to do both so long as they are the same IP?

Scorch95

Dabbler
My bad blocks test will be completed today and then I will run one more smart long test tonight for the hdd burnin procedure and if the card hasn’t arrived by Friday I will move the box to the other side of the house to use our last remaining vga equipped monitor. I’d move it to the box but it’s on a multi screen mount that is not so easily moved.

Is it better to do the dhcp reservation at the router level or set the static at the machine level? Or is it okay to do both so long as they are the same IP?

This might be part of your problem. They CAN'T be the same IP. I know it is one box, but the OS and the IPMI are different things that each need their own IP.

Scorch95

Dabbler
My apologies, i have always treated them differently and believed that they were two different cables which is why it’s so puzzling to me that I can reach both on one Ethernet connection. I have the os set as 192.168.1.10. The IPMI set as 192.168.1.3; originally the IPMI was auto set as 192.168.1.1 and I changed it to .3 when my network went down after plugging in the IPMI cable the first time.

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
If you can access the IPMI interface, use the Remote Control tab there and you can control the server remotely without needing a directly connected monitor (as your video card/VGA reference). You can reboot and check/change BIOS settings through that interface.

kdragon75

Wizard
Some ipmi boards can share a single port and this is basically invisible to the os.