Weird error on my server today, just wanted some advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHands

Dabbler
Just received my daily report from my server, and i have a weird error. brand new drives, which i tested and are fine, everything seems to be working but there is a weird error below? although it says at the end there is no known data errors.

i have three 4TB HGST drives, and it shows the size as 10.9tb with 3.65tb used and 7.23tb free, so all looks good.

Just wanted some advice on what this is trying to tell me? Thanks!

Checking status of zfs pools:
NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
freenas-boot 29G 1.66G 27.3G - - 5% 1.00x ONLINE -
sithvol 10.9T 3.65T 7.23T - 18% 33% 1.00x ONLINE /mnt

pool: sithvol

state: ONLINE

status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An
attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.

action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.

see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P

scan: scrub repaired 112K in 2h52m with 0 errors on Sat Oct 15 08:53:12 2016
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
sithvol ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/5f495055-aa2e-11e5-aefa-d05099c06c38 ONLINE 0 0 21
gptid/60480d62-aa2e-11e5-aefa-d05099c06c38 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/614281bc-aa2e-11e5-aefa-d05099c06c38 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

-- End of daily output --

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's trying to tell you that data on one of your hard drives is corrupt. You don't have data errors because you have redundancy (though we don't generally recommend RAIDZ1 with > 1 TB drives). But there's a problem with the first drive--either with the drive itself, or power/cabling.

MrHands

Dabbler
It's trying to tell you that data on one of your hard drives is corrupt. You don't have data errors because you have redundancy (though we don't generally recommend RAIDZ1 with > 1 TB drives). But there's a problem with the first drive--either with the drive itself, or power/cabling.

thanks.. could be the cabling. I had to RMA the motherboard (never buying asrock again) and when i hooked it back up one of the retention clips on a SATA cable was somehow broken. Will rewire the the drives and see if it removes the error.

I was originally advised to go RAIDZ1 when setting up my server, what should i have used for 4TB drives?

MrHands

Dabbler
With three disks you don't have much of a choice, but a better configuration would be 4-6 disks in RAIDZ2.

i was planning on adding another disk at some-point. Problem is now where to shift the 4 TB of data i have if i want to create a new array.

I assume i cant just add a fourth disk and change it from RAIDZ1 to RAIDZ2 without losing everything?

MrHands

Dabbler

so i put in new cables but the error still shows up with the red critical warning flashing, however it says 'OCT 14th', how do i know if the problem is fixed if the warning seems to still be visible?

Status
Not open for further replies.