USB Scrub Resulting in Errors. Normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcoat

MVP
I think the graphs write data no matter what. My theory is they write to the UBS by default then erase them at a certain point. Now I would watch your USB writes and see if the behavior changes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yes, I inferred your theory from your question on checking the box. The Dell shows no writes on the last hour, the Mini had a small one at the last hour. I'll report again later today, but it certainly looks like your theory is correct. This would be a simple addition to the docs, or preferably make the checked box to store the logs on the system dataset a default with a docs note about the potential effect of unchecking.
More later - thank you once again!

Redcoat

MVP
Yes, I inferred your theory from your question on checking the box. The Dell shows no writes on the last hour, the Mini had a small one at the last hour. I'll report again later today, but it certainly looks like your theory is correct. This would be a simple addition to the docs, or preferably make the checked box to store the logs on the system dataset a default with a docs note about the potential effect of unchecking.

No R/W activity on the boot drives on either machine at the last hour. I believe your theory is not disproven. Thank you again!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I thought it was common knowledge that you had to check the box so it would write to the pool. It's all on the same configuration page, it's just not the default like the system dataset.

Redcoat

MVP
I thought it was common knowledge that you had to check the box so it would write to the pool. It's all on the same configuration page, it's just not the default like the system dataset.

Yes, it does indicate that you need to check the box to save to the pool. What it does not do is tell that the default behavior is to save to the boot device (or to save anywhere for that matter), nor does it alert that the life of the commonly used USB stick boot device may be impacted by not making the choice by checking the box. Again, thank you for flushing this out for me. I hope this thread will help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.