Weekly Chat Ep.1 - Nostalgic Hardware

Hello everyone! Let's hear about those old homelabs that you used that can now be seen as stone age!

As someone that is younger, my first home lab was an old PC that I found laying around the house. That is how I learned of TrueNAS (FreeNAS) at the time and the importance of having good specs. I am sure you can guess how that went for me :wink:|

Let's hear yours!

Arwen

MVP
My old home lab had;
  • Half height rack
  • Rack mounted Infrant ReadyNAS 1000S with 1Gbps Ethernet, 4 x 320GB disks in RAID-5
  • Rack mounted Sun Microsystems X2200 M2
    • with dual AMD socket, 4 core, (aka 8 total cores)
    • can't remember memory
    • 2 x 15K RPM SAS disks
    • LSI FC 2Gbps SAN card
    • LSI 4i/4e 3Gbps SAS card
    • eSATA DVD-ROM
  • Rack mounted Cisco 16 port 10/100 Ethernet switch
  • Rack mounted Cisco 2600 router with extra Ethernet modules
  • Netgear 8 port 1Gbps Ethernet switch
  • Rack mounted Remote power for 8 outlets
  • Rack mounted Lantronix 8 serial remote console access device
  • Rack mounted Brocade 8 port FC 1Gbps SAN switch with full fabric
  • 2 x Rack mounted SAN routers;
    • 1Gbps FC SAN port
    • 1 x 20MByte/ps wide single ended SCSI
    • 1 x 20MByte/ps wide differential SCSI
  • Rack mounted SCSI SE disk tray, with dual 4 slots, single ended, wired to both SAN routers
  • Misc. tape drives that slotted into above disk tray
    • 8mm, 2.5 GByte
    • 8mm, 5/10 GByte
    • SLR5 4/8 GByte
    • SLR32 16/32 GByte
    • DLT2000XT 15/30 GByte
  • DVD-ROM
    • IDE interface
    • Adapter from IDE to 10MByte/ps single ended SCSI
    • Mounted in chassis that fit the SCSI disk tray
  • DLT7000 35/70 GByte in external differential SCSI chassis, wired to SAN router
  • Rack mounted tape library:
    • Single DLT1 tape drive 40/80 GByte
    • Differential SCSI interface
    • 16 tape slots
  • 120v 60hz A.C. Automatic transfer switch

The only heavy use this old lab got, was when I went to transcode my entire DVD, (and a few Bluerays), to my media server, (not listed here, it was not in my lab). Spent days running up to the spare bedroom, (aka lab), to change optical discs. This was after I figured out my initial partial transcode of my disc library using MP4 Simple CODEC was taking up twice the space as the MP4 Advanced CODEC would. So, re-do the ones I have already done, and do the un-done ones too.

I managed to get the old DVD-ROM with IDE interface to work perfectly with IDE to SCSI converter, then SCSI to FC SAN router, which went to my FC SAN switch, then to my Sun 2200 M2 server's FC SAN port. Which also had the second DVD-ROM drive, (external), wired via eSATA to a port on the SAS card. Can't believe that worked perfectly. Zero problems.

When I moved in 2013, I got rid of it all. Tape were too low in storage, and heat sensitive. All the other equipment was OLD, (parallel SCSI anyone?).

Last edited: