Finally got around to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azimech

Cadet
Evening, folks!

When I built my new PC two years ago, I briefly entertained the idea of using my old 2003-era machine as a NAS before I learned how much of a terrible idea that would have been. It led to me learning a lot about the importance of a well-designed appliance that's fit for the task, but when project after project kept coming up, I always had to put the FreeNAS build on the backburner.

However, a decent deal on one of those nifty little Thinkservers was the kick in the pants I finally needed to get around to actually doing it. When I used to work tech support, at least once a day a customer would be upset about losing all of their data to malware or whatever, and there would always be the awkward silence when you ask them where their backups are. I didn't want to be that guy, but our "NAS" up till recently was a USB drive hooked up to our router. Yeah, I know. Those USB2.0 transfer rates suck, by the way.

I'm now in the process of fixing all of that, and it's been a blast reading up on everything I need to know to keep this thing running in top shape. So far I've set up a lone dataset for my partner and I with some basic permissions and shares, but I know there's a lot more for me to learn. I'm very much a newbie when it comes to working in FreeBSD or Unix in general, but hopefully with time, reading and a bit of patience my questions here won't sound too stupid to you folks.

I picked up a Thinkserver TS140 with the updated i3 4330 processor, and went to the local computer store to pick up:
  • 1x8GB ECC RAM (12GB total)
  • 4x3TB WD Reds (Running in RAIDZ2, 5.1TB usable)
  • Cyberpower CP850PFCLCD UPS
I went with 12GB to start since it's above the 8GB minimum and to see how it goes before I get another stick for 20GB; so far it's been golden. The whole thing is dead silent too, which was exactly what I was looking for. Ultimately I'm hoping to get it running with the Transmission and OwnCloud plugins (For small files like KeePass databases and such), and maybe once I get the hang of FreeBSD, running a basic Teamspeak server in a jail for when the guys and I play Arma 3. Our backup strategy is going to be a monthly transfer to that USB HDD that will go to my parents' place in another city. This will hopefully soon be supplemented with a weekly backup to a new USB3.0 drive, which my partner will take to her workplace.

Thanks again to all of the people here who are a wealth of information on the subjects at hand, and who contribute to the active discussion that helps things move forward. I look forward to gleaning much more from you all in the coming weeks/months/(years?).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Welcome!

It's always nice to see people who follow the recommendations. :D

Welcome!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Don't use the OwnCloud plugin, be a Real Man(tm) and install it yourself in a jail from scratch.

I hear there's an awesome video out there on youtube...search for "DrKK" and "Owncloud" ;)

Azimech

Cadet
Don't use the OwnCloud plugin, be a Real Man(tm) and install it yourself in a jail from scratch.

I hear there's an awesome video out there on youtube...search for "DrKK" and "Owncloud" ;)

Yeah, after more reading I think I might try to avoid using plugins and learn how to do things from scratch. It'll probably be a really good way to get the hang of how things work on the backend and improve my CLI familiarity. Thanks for the heads up!

Per Nissilä

Cadet
I picked up a Thinkserver TS140 with the updated i3 4330 processor, and went to the local computer store to pick up:

How did it go installing the system? Everything works?
I'm getting a TS140 (TS140 70A4) myself but with a Xeon E3 1226 V3. It's full item.number is 70A4003QEU.
Do you know the full item number of yours? I really hope it will run Freenas ;)

Azimech

Cadet
I've got the one with the i3 processor, so if you have the upgraded one with the Xeon processor, you're probably laughing. Just make sure you have/upgrade to the proper amount of ECC RAM - mine only came with 4GB.

Per Nissilä

Cadet
I've got the one with the i3 processor, so if you have the upgraded one with the Xeon processor, you're probably laughing. Just make sure you have/upgrade to the proper amount of ECC RAM - mine only came with 4GB.
It says that it comes with 16 gb ddr ecc. I hope everything else is the same as the one you have, since it seems to be working? Or havent you tried it with Freenas yet?

Azimech

Cadet
I've been running FreeNAS on it for a week and so far it's been smooth sailing. I'm sure it'll run even better on a Xeon CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.