Webdav Changed Permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Spangler

Dabbler
I have a large volume divided into various directories. I am sorry I am using "Windows" terms, I am a bit of a novice.

That volume is /mnt/WDW/

I had, at one time, placed onto my main volume a directory which I used for a time for the webdav service. It is /mnt/WDW/WebDav/.

I abandoned the webdav service for the nextcloud plugin. I then turned off the service and deleted the share. Now I have discovered, I can't delete /mnt/WDW/WebDav due to the fact I don't have the right permissions which belong to the unix user webdav. I am fearful of taking actions that affect the /mnt/WDW/ volume and I don't want to make /mnt/WDW/ a share for fear of locking all of my files in the various directories under WDW.

Any insight is appreciated on how I can delete /mnt/WDW/WebDav. Please include clear directions or very specific steps. Thanks anyone.

-LeeTXJD

Glorious1

Guru
No, don't share the root dataset of the volume. Can you elevate yourself with su (then giving the root password) and delete WebDav?

Is WebDav a dataset, listed in the storage window of the webgui? Or an ordinary directory?

Lee Spangler

Dabbler
No, don't share the root dataset of the volume. Can you elevate yourself with su (then giving the root password) and delete WebDav?

Is WebDav a dataset, listed in the storage window of the webgui? Or an ordinary directory?
It is an ordinary directory. It does not appear as a dataset.

LeeTXJD

Glorious1

Guru
It is an ordinary directory. It does not appear as a dataset.

LeeTXJD
Once again - Can you elevate yourself with su (then giving the root password) and delete WebDav?

pernils

Explorer
From this http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000798.htm

We get the syntax for deleting a non empty directory with rm. The -f flag -force = no prompt

Code:
sudo rm -rf /mnt/WDW/WebDav

I'm not so brave so for me i will be something like ..

Code:
sudo su
cd /mnt/WDW/WebDav
rm *.*
cd /mnt/WDW
rmdir WebDav

sudo su become root

cd /mnt/WDW/WebDav move my self into WebDav folder

rm *.* Delete files (if any left). Perhaps you should add -r for recursive rm -rf *.*

cd /mnt/WDW move my self to folder "above" /WebDav

rmdir WebDav Remove directory WebDav. It will complain if not empty

All this can be done by enter then shell from web gui.

upload_2017-3-8_23-17-54.png

When using shell from web gui you are root from start. No need for sudo su.

Last edited:

Glorious1

Guru
Code:
sudo rm -rf /mnt/WDW/WebDav

I'm not so brave so for me i will be something like ..
Code:
sudo su
cd /mnt/WDW/WebDav
rm *.*
cd /mnt/WDW
rmdir WebDav
To me rm *.* is a LOT scarier than rm -R /mnt/WDW/WebDav (my preferred form of the first command), and there are more steps involved. If you get confused or the previous command is wrong, you could do a lot of damage, especially as root.

Status
Not open for further replies.