Web GUI SSL Issues

Haven't seen any forums about my use case of a wildcard SSL (WCSSL) cert I have through my domain provider (NameCheap, not sure if this matters too much). To create the CSR I needed to give my provider before they could issue said WCSSL, I did the following in TrueNAS CORE v12.0-U8:
  1. Go to "System"
  2. Go to "Certificates"
  3. Click "Add"
  4. Change the following
    1. Type - CSR
    2. Under "Subject Alt. Names" I entered a couple other names for a few other services I plan on running (www, servicename1, servicename2)
      1. Wasn't sure how extensive if at all this needs to be
    3. Fill out all necessary info that has an "asterisk" next to it
    4. Leave everything else blank
  5. Click "Submit"
  6. Click "View" next to this new certificate
  7. Copy the "Signing Request" key and paste it into the CSR form on my domain provider
  8. Setup the CNAME as requested, while waiting for the certificate to get created
Once all that was done and I downloaded the new wildcard certificate I added it into TrueNAS via:
  1. Go to "System"
  2. Go to "Certificates"
  3. Click "Add"
  4. Change the following:
    1. Type - "Import Certificate"
    2. Check "CSR exists on this system"
    3. Select my CSR under "Signing Certificate Authority"
    4. Paste CSR key from my domain provider
    5. Click "Submit"
  5. Go under "General"
  6. Select this new cert under "GUI SSL Certificate"
  7. Reload web console as requested
  8. Reload page one more time
  9. Get the stock browser error message that I can click through for invalid certificate, while still getting to my TrueNAS login page.
After reading the last part just now, I think I realized I might need to add the wildcard certificate in the "CAs" portion of the TrueNAS' "System" settings, but not sure. Any help would be great

EDIT-1: Added Domain Provider, as I wasn't sure if that matters or not.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
My script is really intended to import certs from Let's Encrypt, but it should work with any other cert as well--just feed it the path to the cert and key files: