Web GUI: Missing Drives on HP Proliant 350 G6 w/HP RAID card

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaptoZ

Cadet
Hi guys! Thanks so much for making such a knowledgeable forum! I've read the primers, how to guides and done lots of searching.

A little backstory:
I was gifted an awesome server that's about 5 years old. It was single CPU with only 4GB of RAM. I was going to drop it off at the local ewaste recycler before realizing what a great machine I had! It was a office server for a dentist's office and was rather bare bones having only one CPU and 4 GB of memory. Adding a second CPU and 56GB of memory was about $150 thanks to ebay. All the memory is ECC. The machine has a RAID controller that I can't bypass since it sits behind the drive cage. I have six new 3TB drives on order, but until then doing some testing (memory and CPU stress test) and installing.

The machine has two disks in said array, and the RAID card is configured to set each drive as a "logical disk". This is the closest I could come to JBOD as I can't completely disable the RAID controller.

Here's what's making me nervous:

In web GUI > FreeNas > Storage > Volumes > View Disks
I only see da1

When I do:
camcontrol devlist
<HP RAID 0 OK> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<HP RAID 0 OK> at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
<V4-CT128V4SSD1 S5FAMM25> at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass2)
<CT128V4SSD2 S5FAMM25> at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (ada1,pass3)
<hp DVDROM DH40N IS01> at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,cd0)

I can add BOTH drives to a new volume, but nervous that I can only see one disk (da1 and not da0).

Any suggestions or is this a forever buggy problem with HP raid cards? This machine is built like a tank and runs pretty quiet. I don't plan on running it 24/7, maybe turning it on once a week to do backups from my desktops/work machines. My home office deals with tons of large graphic files that I move around often.

I'm going to be asking some more "best practice" questions in other forums, so thanks again for the great support!

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Any suggestions
Ditch it, or run something else on it. If you can't give ZFS direct control of the drives, you'll probably run into trouble at some point.
I don't plan on running it 24/7, maybe turning it on once a week
Then FreeNAS probably isn't the droid you're looking for. Keeping FreeNAS healthy is best done by having all the built-in maintenance run on automated schedules, which is hard to do if the machine isn't on 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.