WDTV HD Live Media Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacata

Cadet
hi

please pardon me for this supper noob question.
I intend to buy WDTV HD Live Media Player, and i wondering if it is compatible with freenas. if not then which kind of system I should buy in order to watch movie from freenas on my big screen TV.

I will be very appreciate any advice.

E

ElPatron

Since the device is able to acces smb network shares, it should be no problem with FreeNAS (via CIFS).

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi zacata,

I used a Patriot Media Player to play content from a FreeNAS box for a couple of months...worked great. Like ElPatron said, it just needs a CIFS\SMB share which FreeNAS can provide.

-Will

zacata

Cadet
@ElPatron: so any network media player should work with freenas juz fine??

Hi zacata,

I used a Patriot Media Player to play content from a FreeNAS box for a couple of months...worked great. Like ElPatron said, it just needs a CIFS\SMB share which FreeNAS can provide.

-Will

is it this one you are using atm? that look very impressive although it's cheaper than the WD i intend to buy.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi zacata,

Yes, that looks like it. My device is actually a Hornet-Tek...I think it's a "third-shift special" that is exactly the same as the PBO, just with a different label on the box. It worked great, I don't think I ever found a file it didn't play. I have since added an XBMC box to the living room so it's been a couple of months since I used it...the subtitle plugin for XBMC is the feature that moved me off the PBO.

-Will

E

ElPatron

@ElPatron: so any network media player should work with freenas juz fine??

No. Every media player that is capable to access Windows file shares does work fine with freenas. Some media players only play media from UPNP Media Servers, which FreeNAS doesn´t support (yet).

Bye,
Markus

Status
Not open for further replies.