SOLVED WD 14TB Whites seem to run hot

TooMuchData

Contributor
I bought and shucked six EasyStore 14TB drives when they were on sale. I'm now burning them in with badblocks, and seeing 42-44 degrees for all six. I'm used to temps below 35 for my Red 6TBs and White 8TBs. Do the WD140EDGZ drives run hot (due to 7200 RPM)? They were running near 40 before I started badblocks.

TooMuchData

Contributor
So, I was concerned about 44. How about 52?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So, I was concerned about 44. How about 52?
Are they still in their external enclosure?

Yes they are 7200rpm and will run hot. Mine are usually around 40c in my super micro 846 server chassie. 52c is probably getting a little too warm if it's at that temperature for long term.

TooMuchData

Contributor
They were shucked, but I'm thinking about putting them back into the enclosures and returning them. Badblocks still running for three more hours.

These were about 40 before burn-in started. I'll see what they run when stabilized.

How old are your drives, SweetAndLow?

NugentS

MVP
Looks to me that either your ambients are too high or you don't have nearly enough airflow to keep the drives at a sensible temperature.

TooMuchData

Contributor
Thanks, and yes. Been thinking about both of those and planning changes (probably tomorrow).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
They were shucked, but I'm thinking about putting them back into the enclosures and returning them. Badblocks still running for three more hours.

These were about 40 before burn-in started. I'll see what they run when stabilized.

How old are your drives, SweetAndLow?
I have 8 of the 12tb easy store drives and currently burying in 8 more of the 14tb easy store drives. I do the burn-in in the enclosure and my temps usually are high. But after that it's no big deal because they are not going full tilt all the time, maybe during a scrub.

TooMuchData

Contributor
I moved the jbod enclosure containing the 6 14TB drives to an area with better air conditioning. Also set speed of all fans to maximum.

Badblocks has been running for 12 hours. Temps of devices range from 36 to 38. About 4 degrees more than my 8TB drives, but much better than 52 or 44.

So, yes, the 14TBs run hotter, but not outrageously so (as I had reported).

TooMuchData

Contributor
Update. Am replicating pool of 6x8TB to 6x14TB for two hours now. Pools are in identical enclosures and side-by-side. Their temps are also identical, 32-35. Very satisfactory.