vnet jail bridged to LAN has very slow access to LAN/WAN

Ray DeMoss

Dabbler
I am recovering from a crashed TrueNAS system where I lost my jails. This is a long story and really not important. This is my primary home server and hosts many local LAN shares and when everything was working, it runs 5 jails. Currently, I have one jail setup that runs a webserver that downloads files. Before the crash, I observed nearly full ISP bandwidth to the Internet from within the jail running the same software. Here is the relevant info, but please ask for anything that may be missing.

• I have one NIC connected to the LAN. This is a 10Gbit interface ix0 connected to a 10Gbit switch connected to the pfSense router.
  • I have a Google Fiber connection to the Internet with 2Gbit down and 1Gbit up.
  • From the root folder of the TrueNAS server, I run a command line speed test to ensure the core functionality is working as shown below
  • I am only running IPv4 and everything is on one network. There are no VLANs or LAGGs on any interfaces. This is a home server so I keep it pretty simple.
  • The MTU is all set to 1500 all-around although the host interface looks like it supports jumbo packets.
  • The NIC card is an Intel X540 card and offloading is enabled. This was also enabled in my previous build.
root@truenas:~ # ./speedtest-cli Retrieving speedtest.net configuration... Testing from Google Fiber (136.xxx.xxx.xxx)... Retrieving speedtest.net server list... Selecting best server based on ping... Hosted by UTOPIA Fiber (SLC, UT) [7.62 km]: 5.159 ms Testing download speed................................................................................ [COLOR=rgb(184, 49, 47)]Download: 1923.62 Mbit/s[/COLOR] Testing upload speed...................................................................................................... [COLOR=rgb(184, 49, 47)]Upload: 834.26 Mbit/s[/COLOR] root@truenas:~ #
  • The jail is set up using vnet0 and bridge0.
  • Here is the ifconfig output from the host system:
ix0: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500 options=4a538b9<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWFILTER,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,NOMAP> ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:60 inet 192.168.10.96 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255 media: Ethernet autoselect (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>) status: active nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED> bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:91 id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15 maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200 root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0 member: vnet0.7 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP> ifmaxaddr 0 port 10 priority 128 path cost 2000 member: ix0 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP> ifmaxaddr 0 port 5 priority 128 path cost 2000 groups: bridge nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED> vnet0.7: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500 description: associated with jail: sabnzbd as nic: epair0b options=8<VLAN_MTU> ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:38 hwaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:0a groups: epair media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>) status: active nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
  • I then run the same speed test from inside the jail
root@testjail:~ # ./speedtest-cli Retrieving speedtest.net configuration... Testing from QuickWeb Hosting Solutions (184.170.241.12)... Retrieving speedtest.net server list... Selecting best server based on ping... Hosted by CopperNet Systems, Inc. (Kearny, AZ) [113.56 km]: 78.688 ms Testing download speed................................................................................ [COLOR=rgb(184, 49, 47)]Download: 77.04 Mbit/s[/COLOR] Testing upload speed...................................................................................................... [COLOR=rgb(184, 49, 47)]Upload: 68.72 Mbit/s[/COLOR]
  • In the previous build of this jail, I would see 1.5 to 1.8 Gbit down
  • The previous build of the jail also used vnet0 and bridge0.
  • The VNET and BRIDGE were created by TrueNAS when I created the jail. Neither existed prior to the creation of this testjail.
  • Here are the NIC interfaces inside the jail:
root@testjail:~ # ifconfig lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384 options=680003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,LINKSTATE,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6> inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 groups: lo nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL> pflog0: flags=0<> metric 0 mtu 33160 groups: pflog epair0b: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500 options=8<VLAN_MTU> ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:39 hwaddr xx::xx:xx:xx:xx:0b inet 192.168.10.40 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255 groups: epair media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>) status: active nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>

I've been reading the forums for hours and while others have posted similar questions, the situations have been fairly different. Some use VLANs some use LAGG or other configurations. This is pretty straightforward with the vnet connected to the bridge connect to the ix0 interface and still hitting a network performance issue.

I would really appreciate any suggestions to improve or compare performance. Does this look like it's configured properly? I'm pretty advanced with network hardware, but I'm not an expert with virtualized components like the VNETs or BRIDGEs.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I note that the test system used differs in the two tests, Utopia Fiber vs Coppernet Systems (7 vs 113 KM away from you)... maybe it's worth forcing the same for both?

Nothing else obvious I can see that would make it different.

Ray DeMoss

Dabbler
I note that the test system used differs in the two tests, Utopia Fiber vs Coppernet Systems (7 vs 113 KM away from you)... maybe it's worth forcing the same for both?
The host system says it's in Utah and it is, but the Jail thinks it's in Arizona near Phoenix. I don't know why. The bridge must be obfuscating the geo-location of the external IP address. When I run the list command to show the speed test servers, the resulting list only shows the closest 10 servers to where it thinks its geo-location is. So the host will only run against the closest 10 servers in Utah, and the Jail will only run against the closest 10 servers in Arizona. I tried to use the Utah server ID in the Jail and it says "ERROR: No matched servers". When I reverse it to run the host against the Arizona server it says the same thing. Strange, but I'll keep trying or maybe find another test.

I did run the speed test against the 10 servers available to the jail and the results were about the same usually between 40-100Mbits Up and down.

I haven't tried this, but is it possible without breaking the jail to try different network configurations, like switching to the NAT feature or DHCP, which I'm assuming it's just bridged to the LAN? I'm not married to the VNET configuration if something else will work better.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What's your objective here?

Are you trying to prove that jail networking is slow? (what you're testing here isn't achieving that)

Are you just interested in seeing the same numbers from the host and the jail? (I question the value in working toward that, but whatever makes you happy). I suggest you look into the options for speedtest-cli and see if you can specify the server to use for the test at the command by ID, which I guess you could grab on the host and then use in the jail too.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Two problems:

1. The IP address must be on bridge0 instead of ix0.
2. Hardware offloading must be disabled for ix0.

Ray DeMoss

Dabbler
What's your objective here?
@sretalla

Thank for the response. I appreciate the help. As I said in my opening, my previous jail runs a download server where it downloads files and runs a bunch of scripts. I lost the drives that hosted my jails so I am rebuilding each lost jail and I started with this one. My previous downloading jail did run at near-line speed on vnet0 to bridge0 to ix0. This jail ran typically at about ~1Gbit to ~1.5Gbit for years so I know this works. When I created the new replacement jail and tested it, I noticed I was only getting about 15-20% of my previous download rate, so I started troubleshooting where the slowdown is occurring.

I used the same script to build the new jail as the previous one with a few exceptions like the upgraded v13-0-release, and the IP address changed. The previous jail was built on the 12.x releases and upgraded over time. Running the speedtest-cli is a troubleshooting step. When the downloads seemed slow, I tested to confirm where the slowdown happens. I tested the router and that was full speed. I tested the TrueNAS server as root and that ran at full speed, then I tested it inside the jail and it ran slow. I know the jail can run fast because I've seen it run at ~1.5 Gbits down. So, I am trying to figure out why this jail is slower by a significant margin than the previous jail. That is my objective.

Are you just interested in seeing the same numbers from the host and the jail? (I question the value in working toward that, but whatever makes you happy). I suggest you look into the options for speedtest-cli and see if you can specify the server to use for the test at the command by ID, which I guess you could grab on the host and then use in the jail too.
Please refer to my 3rd post, which explains exactly this. If you run the list command, it only shows you the 10 closest servers to your geo-location or where it thinks your geo-location is. It doesn't show you all of them. The online help for speedtest-cli doesn't say this or explain this at all but if you run the command, that is what it shows. There is an online list of all the speed-test servers with their server IDs that you can supposedly use on the command line. If you use a server ID that is not on the closest 10 servers list, you get an error. This is not explained in the speedtest-cli documentation. Maybe they haven't updated their docs yet. I am open to an alternate suggestion for a speed test. I can use iperf to my router to baseline the issue, but I think the speed test servers likely have a very large pipe to the Internet so they can test high-speed connections because that is their purpose. If I would see roughly ~500Mbit to Arizona, I would not have made this post, but the jail is slow. I typically get Gbit+ connections to the Netherlands and Germany where some of my colleagues live/work and we routinely exchange large software images and logs.

Two problems:

1. The IP address must be on bridge0 instead of ix0.
2. Hardware offloading must be disabled for ix0.
@Patrick M. Hausen

I've read through many of your other posts and I appreciate your extensive knowledge. Just to be clear, when you say the Jails IP address must be on bridge0, do you mean a different subnet from ix0? If so, I can easily change that. I've read through other explanations for the hardware offloading being disabled when there are other network layers involved like LAGG or VLAN tags, which I am not running. I get that it doesn't provide many benefits when there are too many software layers of the OSI model involved. Having said that, in my previous build with HW offloading enabled I was easily seeing 1Gbit+ speeds in the jail. Was this just a fluke? Did I just get lucky? I've worked in the computer industry for 28-years on storage hardware and software still baffles me at times. I set up my previous jail some 3-years ago and it just worked with very little tweaking.
  • Is there is a better option than using VNET to the BRIDGE adapter?
  • Can I change the networking stack inside the jail to test different options? Are there any good guides to do this?
  • Should I just destroy the jail and tweak my iocage script and rebuild it?

Last edited:

sretalla