VNC Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark WatIng

Explorer
Hi,

QQ - does anyone know how to change the resolution of a VM using VNC under FreeNAS (11)?

I can install a VM (in my case Ubuntu) and connect via VNC but unable to change the resolution (stuck in 1024x768 on the settings/display screen within Ubuntu).

Thanks,
Mark.

Rob1985

Cadet
I have the same issue, however in for Windows 10. Is it possible to increase the resolution?
The problem is that it's using the Basic Miscrosoft Display Adapter.

KrisBee

Wizard
Hi,

QQ - does anyone know how to change the resolution of a VM using VNC under FreeNAS (11)?

I can install a VM (in my case Ubuntu) and connect via VNC but unable to change the resolution (stuck in 1024x768 on the settings/display screen within Ubuntu).

Thanks,
Mark.

Not currently from the webUI, but according to this post other framebuffer resolutions are support when using byhve from the CLI:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2016-May/004471.html

KrisBee

Wizard
I have the same issue, however in for Windows 10. Is it possible to increase the resolution?
The problem is that it's using the Basic Miscrosoft Display Adapter.

Once you have a Win10 VM installed and running what resolutions can you get over rdp?

KrisBee

Wizard

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
RDP is superior to VNC because RDP sends the draw calls, VNC simply sends a video of the entire desktop, which requires the host cpu to compress the video. The higher the resolution, the more VNC is going to suck, the more it is going to abuse the CPU.

VNC is great because it is cross platform, but other wise it is the worst option possible.

KrisBee

Wizard
RDP is superior to VNC because RDP sends the draw calls, VNC simply sends a video of the entire desktop, which requires the host cpu to compress the video. The higher the resolution, the more VNC is going to suck, the more it is going to abuse the CPU.

VNC is great because it is cross platform, but other wise it is the worst option possible.

That may be true for a real machine where you would have to install a vncserver on Windows, although a combination of tightvnc and the DFMirage video driver is faster and less cpu intensive than other vnc implementations. But this is byhve, and you have to use the framebuffer at least during the install of a windows VM. You wouldn't need a "vnc device" once rdp was working.

Status
Not open for further replies.