SOLVED How to set screen resolution in a Windows VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthvader42

Dabbler
I've managed to install a Windows 10 VM on my FreeNAS 11 box. However when connecting via VNC (and teamviewer as well) the resolution is limited to 1024x768.
bhyve should support more by setting `graphics_res`. Any idea how this can be done? The GUI seems not to support it. I wonder if there's a config file for this?

I've also learned that there's a `vm` command on freebsd, see https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=vm&sektion=8&manpath=freebsd-release-ports. Does it make sense to enable it instead relying on low level bhyve command tooling? (sorry if the q sounds stupid, don't have a lot of freebsd experience)

Last edited:

Pezo

Explorer
See here, last post not even a week ago.

darthvader42

Dabbler
for reference:
I've patched /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py l.119 to use 1920/1080 instead of 1024/768 and removed the compile version of this file inside `__pycache__` folder.

m0nkey_

MVP
for reference:
I've patched /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py l.119 to use 1920/1080 instead of 1024/768 and removed the compile version of this file inside `__pycache__` folder.
Keep in mind, any changes made to the base OS will be erased at the next update.

darthvader42

Dabbler
I'm fully aware of this - but thanks for pointing out. 11.1 will have configurability for this included, so this is just a intermediate hack. I didn't want to install 11-Nightlies for general stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.