VMs slow down until I restart FreeNAS

clifford64

Explorer
I have two ESXi hosts that connect to my FreeNAS system via iSCSI 10gb links. I noticed it was taking about 2-5 minutes just to login to my vCenter VM about a month ago. So I brought everything down to do some updates and I decided to also put in an SSD I had as an L2ARC. The ram is maxed out on my board at 32GB of ECC. I rebooted everything and got it all back up and running and everything was extremely snappy. vCenter loaded and logged in within seconds instead of minutes.

Fast forward to now which is about a Month later and I noticed the same thing. vCenter and VMs are running slowly again. I am going to be performing another update to FreeNAS soon, 11.3U2 which should cause FreeNAS to restart which would boost things again.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on? ARC is always at around 22GB of usage, I assume the remaining RAM is being used to run the system. The L2ARC drive is a Samsung 850 pro 500gb, it is about 300GB full right now. I added the L2ARC drive because I noticed when I would try to load vCenter after a couple of days, it would have a bunch of ARC misses at the same time I would load vCenter. I assumed this was because it was trying to load directly from disk and not cache, so I thought maybe adding the SSD would help this and it seemed to from a graph perspective. I don't get nearly as many misses from ARC or L2ARC when loading vCenter, but still slow. I have tried restarting just the vCenter VM.