VM stuck at shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDizzz

Dabbler
Hi all-
I'm new to VMs, but I would like to use my server as a Pi-Hole.

I followed this guy's instructions but all I get is the UEFI shell when I start the VM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2q0FYqWaVo&t=405s&list=LL4SEdj2MUMeGlRCDVdf9kww&index=2

Here are my specs:
FreeNAS 11.1-U6
Supermicro X10SLL-F
16gb ECC
i3 4170 3.7ghz

In 2 separate attempts, I used the current version of the Ubuntu Server LTS (18.04.1) and the closest available version to the one in that video (16.04.5) and in both instances when I start the VM and run the web viewer, it's just the shell. These ISO files are sitting in my server's storage.

My board's BIOS has an enable/disable setting for virtualization, and it's enabled.
The specs for my CPU say that EPT is supported, but "Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)" is not supported. I don't know if that matters.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Type exit at the console to go into BIOS and select your boot order from there.

Use Ubuntu 16 since there are still issues with bhyve and 18.

sretalla