dureal99d

Contributor
My hardware specs

Build FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)

Platform
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Memory
24529MB

yet i cant connect to a vm via vnc viewer? Is their anything i can do? I run the command grep VT-x /var/run/dmesg.boot and i get "VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,VPID" am I missing anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

RegularJoe

Patron
do you have virtualization turned on in your BIOS? Does your VNC device show the TCP port number? did you download RealVNC? Are you connecting to the IP address of your FreeNAS box and the port shown for your running VM? There should be a how to here on the forums somewhere on all the steps you need to make a VM, I just created two VM's this week in FreeNAS 11 u4.

https://ark.intel.com/products/3714...rocessor-8M-Cache-2_66-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

Stux

MVP
I7-920 is a nehalem and they don't really work well with bhyve, fwiw.

An upgrade to a 6 core westmere Xeon would be a good idea, and they're cheap off eBay.

dureal99d

Contributor
I7-920 is a nehalem and they don't really work well with bhyve, fwiw.

An upgrade to a 6 core westmere Xeon would be a good idea, and they're cheap off eBay.
What about an i7 970 or 980

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-AL10 using Tapatalk

Stux

MVP
What about an i7 970 or 980

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-AL10 using Tapatalk

They should work. They're Gulftown processors, which are based on the Westmere architecture. The 920 is a Bloomfield based on the Nehalem architecture. You can see it as "Products formerly Gulftown" in ARC.

I'd still recommend a Gulftown/Westmere Xeon though... probably cheaper. And you might even be able to use ECC ram with it.

I have an Intel i7-990x that I should ebay ;)

Westmere was a small change to Nehalem, primarily bringing 6 core processors and slightly faster ram support... and I'm not sure if it was a bug fix, or an additional feature, but Westmere is the minimum for full bhyve support.

Stux

MVP

dureal99d

Contributor
I thank you for the help stux and regular joe. i have ordered a proper processor i7 980

RegularJoe

Patron
I am using an i5 650 and it supports the virtualization as well as AES so I can run pfSense on the hardware crypto. The only thing on those machines is that I am limited to 16gb of RAM and no hyperthreading. Not a bad pic for $25. LOL

dureal99d

Contributor
OK!!! So I have finally gotten my I7-980 installed it following an update to my motherboard bios and wala VMs now work!!!!!! oh and i had to restart in order for the keyboard to work in VMs but after that wala!!!!!! loving this FreeNAS ware

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.