VM settings not saving after upgrade

mvandekorput

Cadet
Also facing the same bug. Is this the result of the CORE to SCALE migration I did? Does this bug also exist if you install SCALE from scratch?

Rhaegar79

Cadet
I installed SCALE from scratch a few weeks ago, I'm on 23.10.1 and I have the exact same issue. I can't even rename the VMs.

mvandekorput

Cadet
Thanks for your reply! I was considering reinstalling from scratch. Glad that I didn't do that ... :smile: I'm surprised though that this issue hasn't been resolved yet, since this has been reported quite some time ago.

BoA

Cadet
Aha, same issue. I thought It had something to do with the migration to new hardware, complete reinstall an configuration load. But sure hope they fix it soon, as this is 'rather annnnooooyyyyiiinnnggggg'

tprelog

Patron
Same issue for me as well.

Has anybody filed a Jira ticket? I don't see one anywhere in this thread.

EDIT: I just created one

Moderators: Can this thread be moved to the TrueNAS SCALE / Virtualization forum? (I think that's where it belongs since this is across multiple versions of TrueNAS and it's related to virtualization on TrueNAS SCALE)

Last edited:

tprelog

Patron
From what I read, these settings are stored in the TN database, so only an API call will be able to change it. It would be nice to have an API tool we could use in situations like this.
We do have something. I'm not very proficient in its use but I can give a simple example.

From the TrueNAS UI - In the toolbar top right, go to settings -> API key
1705022439897.png

Click the API Docs button

1705022500065.png

This will open a new web page. In the top left, click RESTful 2.0, then click the Authorize button. Enter the same username/password you use to access the TrueNAS UI. Now you can use this page to view and change settings using the API

1705022859396.png

For example, to list all VMs, locate and expand the GET /vm section. Then click the Try it out button

1705023359409.png

Next click Execute to list VMs, their current settings, and the VM ID that is needed for some other VM-related API calls. Notice the ID for my Home Assistant VM is 1 and the memory is currently set at 2GB or 2048MB

1705023477855.png

Here I change the memory to 4GB or 4096MB

1705024405349.png

After clicking Execute, you can see in the response body, that the memory has been updated!

1705024497350.png

Hope this helps!

FrankWard

Explorer
We do have something. I'm not very proficient in its use but I can give a simple example.

From the TrueNAS UI - In the toolbar top right, go to settings -> API key
View attachment 74530

Click the API Docs button

View attachment 74531

This will open a new web page. In the top left, click RESTful 2.0, then click the Authorize button. Enter the same username/password you use to access the TrueNAS UI. Now you can use this page to view and change setting

Confirmed. I used this method to update a few VMs today in Scale. I seem to remember a GUI tool for working with a restful api in a more friendly way which would make things easier.

FrankWard

Explorer
Does anyone know if this issue will be resolved with the full 23.10.2 maintenance release is anticipated later in February?

tprelog

Patron
Does anyone know if this issue will be resolved with the full 23.10.2 maintenance release is anticipated later in February?
Yeah, at least it's supposed to be

tprelog

Patron
I can confirm this is still an issue in the latest download :(

Are you saying this is still an issue in the nightly release?

I am asking because the latest (released) download (23.10.1.3) does not have this fix yet. Version (23.10.2) containing the fix has not been released yet.

CelticWebs

Dabbler
Are you saying this is still an issue in the nightly release?

I am asking because the latest (released) download (23.10.1.3) does not have this fix yet. Version (23.10.2) containing the fix has not been released yet.
Correct, I still have the issue, even with nightly.

FrankWard

Explorer
Ignore last statement! It appears it is working now, I must not have been on the latest Beta.
Glad to hear this was fixed, and glad to know about the API option just in case!

sfatula

Guru
And it does work fine on 23.10.2, I can update my VMs.