Unable to install an OS in VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGenerateKane

Explorer
I've been having a hell of a time trying to get a VM installed. No matter what OS I choose, it just freezes at some point. I tried an Ubuntu Live CD just to see if I could use it, and when I tried shutting down it froze. Tried installing Windows 7, it always freezes when finalizing the installation. Just tried Windows 10, it froze at the copying windows files step. When it freezes, I'm unable to stop the VM, no matter how many times I press the button. It says it has stopped up at the top in green when I press it, but it still shows RUNNING when I look. I've been forced to delete the VM each time I've wanted to try again. I tried Windows 7 again, and while it hasn't frozen yet, it has been on the Completing installation step for over two hours now. What is going on? I followed the directions in the manual. My specs are in my sig, it's the second machine that is running 11.0-U2. I know one common mistake seems to be not allocating enough RAM to the VM, I've tried 8192 mb as well as 16384. Also tried 2 cores, 4 cores and 8 cores for the CPU.

Stux

MVP
Well, can't help you with the freezing, but can with the stopping.

In the shell,

ls /dev/vmm

Will list all active VM names

bhyvectl --force-poweroff --vm=<vm name>

Will forcefully terminate.

Should be resolved in 11.1
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23975

DGenerateKane

Explorer
Thanks, that worked. Wish I could get something to install though.

Status
Not open for further replies.