VM - Random Shutdown

StarTrek133

Contributor
Hello Everyone,

I could some help and advice ... I have Truenas Core installed and I am currently running a windows 10 VM with it ... at random times Truenas will just turn off the VM ... When I look at the logs there is no command or anything that shows up as to why it turned off .. also when I check the windows 10 vm event viewer and stuff there is nothing listed there either ..

So I have no why it keeps turning off at random times ...

Thoughts ? ideas ?

And I know some people are going to say switch over to Scale , but my reason for picking Core , was that I could never get SMB shares to work with Scale ..

Any help would be great ..

Thanks ..

Whattteva

Wizard
How much RAM are you dedicating to the VM?

StarTrek133

Contributor
How much RAM are you dedicating to the VM?
8GB is all it needs ... its just running windows , Plex , and my database program ..

chuck32

Guru
When I look at the logs there is no command or anything that shows up as to why it turned off .. also when I check the windows 10 vm event viewer and stuff there is nothing listed there either ..
Can you show us the logs you looked at for the specific time it shutdown?

StarTrek133

Contributor
Can you show us the logs you looked at for the specific time it shutdown?
Hey Chuck32 ..

Which log files , TrueNas or the Windows VM ??

chuck32

Guru
When I look at the logs there is no command or anything that shows up as to why it turned off
The ones you supposedly looked at to determine they didn't tell you anything ;)

For windows this would be event viewer -> windows logs -> system, look out for event ID41, 1074 or 6008

In truenas you could go to virtual machines and then select your VM and see if there's a download logs button. In Scale there is. Alternatively you could see if there's a vm folder in /var/log or /var/log/libvirt/qemu. Sorry I don't use CORE.

Some log should have catched something.