VM error after migrating from CORE

elizzit

Dabbler
Hi everyone! A couple of days ago I migrate my TrueNAS CORE to TrueNAS SCALE. I had a VM with Ubuntu Server installed on it and it was working fine 'til I was on CORE but now when i try to start it throws me the following error: [EFAULT] VM will not start as NIC Device: re0 device(s) are not available.
The "More Info" option show me the following:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 176, in call_method
result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1293, in _call
return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1265, in nf
return await func(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1133, in nf
res = await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/vm_lifecycle.py", line 39, in start
await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self._start, vm['name'])
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1208, in run_in_thread
return await self.run_in_executor(self.thread_pool_executor, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1205, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/vm_supervisor.py", line 62, in _start
self.vms[vm_name].start(vm_data=self._vm_from_name(vm_name))
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/supervisor/supervisor_base.py", line 138, in start
raise CallError(
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] VM will not start as NIC Device: re0 device(s) are not available.

What am I supposed to do for not lose the content of this VM??
Thank you in advance

LarsR

Guru
When you migrated from core to scale it could be that the name of the nic attached to your vm has changed.
Try Editing the VM Devices and change the nic to the name it has now on scale.
Additionally if you had any smb connections from vm to the host it could be that you need to create a bridge interface. otherwise your vm cant talk to the host.

elizzit

Dabbler
If I correctly understood what you mean, I tryed to change the name of the vm with the name of the memory allocated to it in the pool but it won't allow me 'cause it contain a special char

VM actual name: Server004
Pool actual name: Server004-6eyyms

LarsR

Guru
no thats not what i meant.
There is a Button "VM Devices"
If you click that it list all devices you attached to the vm.
Storage
A virtual dvd
Network interfaces
and so on.

You can Edit that network interface and attach different physical Nics from your server to it.
I susspect that switching from core to scale also changed the naming of your Nic from something igb0 to something different and therefore the vm cant find the physical nic to attach the virtual one to it.

Edit: Before you can change those settings the vm needs to be shut down

elizzit

Dabbler
Ok, so, the following steps is what did I do:
  1. I went to "Virtualization"
  2. on my server I clicked on "Devices"
  3. on the NIC settings I've selected "Edit"
In this window I have 4 Fields
  1. Adapter Type: Intel e82585 (e1000)
  2. MAC Address
  3. Nic to attach: (empty)
  4. Device Order: 1002
On the third I selected from the dropdown menu the only possible option: enp5s0

Then I tryed to connect via ssh to this os but it throw me the following error:
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ECDSA key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:9oqc3t9Io0VyLaKQPdFjuAbE9B/4jHJArxclk0RdLwQ.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in C:\\Users\\elizzit/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending ECDSA key in C:\\Users\\elizzit/.ssh/known_hosts:4
ECDSA host key for 192.168.0.110 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

In the end the noVNC display is not working at all it still loading

elizzit

Dabbler
Ok, I was doing something wrong, I don't even know if I should delete my last message, maybe I should.... I tried to connect to the old ip of this server...
Anyway, the VNC display doesn't work so now I have to use spice, but that is not a problem, the problem is that i can't access via ssh, I tried with the ip that should be but it won't connect. I checked if the ip was still the one that i knew using the command "hostname -I" but the ip that it gave me is totally different from those in my home network. The ip should look like 192.168.0.* instead is 172.17.0.1. What is happend??
It also appear that is not connected to internet, I've tryed a simple "apt update and this is the response:

1657974496843.png

Last edited:

LarsR

Guru
can't help you with your ip setup, but at least the vm is starting again